Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch issues

Shaneheather

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Hello everyone, was hoping for some info on what has happened before i have to get the car towed. Car is an 02 VU ss ute 6 speed manual. Was driving home from work, and shifted from 1st to 2nd, after engaging 2nd gear and releasing the clutch, i heard a faint snapping? sound, like a click of the fingers best way to describe it, went to engage 3rd and the clutch felt heavy, and the gearshift would not budge at all, ended up driving home stuck in 2nd gear at 30kmh. If i engaged the clutch rolling it would not release the clutch at all, had to kill the ignition to stop the car when home. With the engine off the gears move in freely with clutch depressed, but not when the engine is running. I had zero warning when it happened, i dont do burnouts or abuse the car in any way, it does have a short shift kit though that was on the car when i purchased it 4 years ago. I cannot see any fluid leaking from the master cylinder, and it is full of fluid. If anyone can give advice if you might have had this problem it would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Had the clutch in my old vx ss die in pretty much the exact same way yours did mate unfortunately your up for a new clutch kit I’d get a heavy duty with single mass flywheel if I were you

Shaneheather

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Thanks for the reply was hoping it wouldnt be that.
Ok well got the car to the mechanics ..will throw a shout out to Batemans Bay Brake and clutch Centre ..very professional and no bull...turns out it was the spigot or pilot bearing on the input shaft, prety much rooted.. bearings were gone and split ..in hinsight when i actually gave the car a rev, between 3000 and on it made a weird rushing noise that was very noticable ...i just thought it was maybe the induction or whatever. Now with the new kit its so quiet ( you can now hear the engine rev freely with that gorgeous sound). so 1500 fitted ..australian clutch ..not sure of the specifics but from SA... on par price wise with excedy?? That was my 2 choices ..but went with the former. The clutch itself on the old one was still semi ok, but the spigot bearing was shot. I hope this helps anyoe with a similar problem . Cheers :)