Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch pedal position - high grab/bite point

matt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Manual sedan
Hi, hoping someone can help.... I just picked up a real tidy manual VZ SS from a dealer. On the test drive I noticed that the clutch bite point was very high; foot almost off the pedal. Requested this was looked at. The dealer workshop told me a few days before I collected the car that it needed a new clutch and they were fitting one that same day...bonus! When collecting the car I noticed the pedal bite point position was very similar to the test drive. I questioned this but was reassured that a new clutch had been fitted and they also provided an invoice showing exactly this.
I've had new clutches fitted before to other non holden cars and the bite point is always low. This is my first SS commy, can anyone tell me if this is normal for the clutch to engage at a high pedal position?
Thanks. Matt

DavesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
My VX SS grabs around 1/3 > 1/2 from the floor

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Serioushustle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7L
My series 2 vy ss grabs very high aswell. Pretty much almost all the way up before it grabs.

I've never had a problem with it so I wouldn't worry about it

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
be wary of used car dealers, if your clutch feels the same as before chances are they have not fitted a new clutch, get an inspection done by a reputable mechanic , do this while your car is in it's warranty period

matt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Manual sedan
Yeah, the dealer did decide to do this without any dramas, it does make me wonder about the whole situation. I will defiantly have this checked out - thanks for the advice.
Does anyone know if they have hydraulic clutches on the VZ SS (2004)

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
yes the VZ clutch is hydralic.
The VY pedal can be adjusted via a threaded rod, think they took this feature out when the VZ rolled around.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
The pedal height isn't indicative of the clutch wear state like the old cable operated clutches. I had my clutch replaced recently and the pickup point didnt change noticably.
Not that this means the dealer isn't pulling a dodgy on you...

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
be wary of used car dealers, if your clutch feels the same as before chances are they have not fitted a new clutch, get an inspection done by a reputable mechanic , do this while your car is in it's warranty period
How are they going to tell if the clutch has been replaced with-out removing the box and physically getting in there to have a look, :hmmm: just a thought!!!
Then again they might of replaced the clutch plate only,thats why they said no probs without a hassel,but thats probably all they replaced!!!and reused the original pressure plate,thats why the take up point is the same.Invoices mean ****,even though it might say clutch plate,pressure plate,thrust bearing ,spigot bush/bearing ,dont mean it all went in the same car