Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch problem

Bucks7

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 Holden Wb 202
I’ve got a 1982 Wb ute that I’ve just started as a project. It’s got a 202 in it, was originally a 3 on tree but was converted to a 4 on floor.

Got a problem with the clutch, however. It’s stuck to the floor. Car goes in to gear fine when the car is off but when the car is on it doesn’t go in at all - doesn’t grind at all just won’t go.

I assume the clutch plate has stuck to the flywheel as it hadn’t been started in 20 or so years but if anyone’s got any other ideas of what it could be I’d love to know.

I’ve tried starting it in gear with the clutch in but was wondering if there was any other things I could try?

Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Are you able to remove the clutch inspection cover, remove the clutch cable (I think they have a cable), unbolt the pressure plate and move it towards the gearbox? I think you have enough room to be able to do that.....This might help determine if the pressure plate is stuck to the clutch plate.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As Above ^^^^

I seconds that, and yes they are a Cable Clutch with a Brass Ball at each end of the cable,
[Cables didn't last long on a Heavy Duty Clutch]

Know them to well, as I had a 1972 HQ also, with a 202
and Converted it from a 3 Speed on the Column, to a 4 On the Floor with a M20 Aussie 4 Speed,
Has a banjo diff in it, and broke so may damn axles, I ripped it out and put in a Salisbury Diff,
Was a great tow car for our Motor Bike trips to Labertouche.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Maybe start it up let it get warm then rev it up to see if it frees up.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Being a WB it should have a cable clutch.

If the pedal is on the floor my first guess would be a broken cable, the WB's didn't have a return spring on the pedal and just relied on the pressure plate diaphragm on the flywheel to bring the pedal up.

Bucks7

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 Holden Wb 202
Are you able to remove the clutch inspection cover, remove the clutch cable (I think they have a cable), unbolt the pressure plate and move it towards the gearbox? I think you have enough room to be able to do that.....This might help determine if the pressure plate is stuck to the clutch plate.

Thanks for the tip, just got under the car then and removed the inspection cover had a look at things and should be able to move it backwards.

Already had a look at the clutch cable and it seems to be all good with no breaks.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
You have to start with the pedal up so if the pedal is on the floor then sumtingweelywong or sumtingbroke
meaning you have to start looking at all the clutch cable and connections, mechanisms, fork, throw out bearing, pressure plate etc etc.
If the cable is good then the fork may be bent/broke but the first thing is to find out why the pedal is on the floor.
Too long ago for me to remember what they had but fixable just the same.
I do remember the HZ tonner I had which kept me busy setting the clutch mechanism at times.

Bucks7

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 Holden Wb 202
Just gave this a go, was a bit of a battle under the car trying to get the bolts out but got them eventually. It’s not like the pressure plate is sitting loosely there either it’s still got a lot of pressure holding it there. This may be normal but I’m not sure I’m no clutch expert.
What should I do from here? - I’m 95% sure that the problem is the clutch being stuck to the flywheel but I still haven’t been able to get past the pressure plate. The clutch fork has pressure on it like it normally should now but that’s with the pressure plate unbolted from the flywheel.
Thanks for all the help

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just gave this a go, was a bit of a battle under the car trying to get the bolts out but got them eventually. It’s not like the pressure plate is sitting loosely there either it’s still got a lot of pressure holding it there. This may be normal but I’m not sure I’m no clutch expert.
What should I do from here? - I’m 95% sure that the problem is the clutch being stuck to the flywheel but I still haven’t been able to get past the pressure plate. The clutch fork has pressure on it like it normally should now but that’s with the pressure plate unbolted from the flywheel.
Thanks for all the help
The fork shouldn't have pressure on the plate, the only time the fork should have pressure on the pressure plate is when you push the clutch pedal down.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks for all the help

With the clutch fork having pressure on it, it sounds like it might be stuck on the pivot ball inside the bellhousing.

Honestly, I think the best option from here is to remove the gearbox and make sure the clutch fork moves freely on the pivot ball...Also make sure the throw out bearing (or thrust bearing) spins freely and you can also check the clutch plate isn't seized on the flywheel(this I doubt)

Yes a pain in the butt, but thee best solution in the long run