Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch problem

Bucks7

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 Holden Wb 202
The fork shouldn't have pressure on the plate, the only time the fork should have pressure on the pressure plate is when you push the clutch pedal down.
I think it may be the other way around, as in the clutch plate has pressure on the fork. The pressure plate is pushing the fork towards the rear of the car after undoing the bolts which hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. The clutch pedal isn’t down at all.

Bucks7

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 Holden Wb 202
With the clutch fork having pressure on it, it sounds like it might be stuck on the pivot ball inside the bellhousing.

Honestly, I think the best option from here is to remove the gearbox and make sure the clutch fork moves freely on the pivot ball...Also make sure the throw out bearing (or thrust bearing) spins freely and you can also check the clutch plate isn't seized on the flywheel(this I doubt)

Yes a pain in the butt, but thee best solution in the long run
Honestly at this stage if I have to take the gearbox out to fix it I might just swap the whole engine and gearbox out and put a 253 in. Saves me messing about with an engine and gearbox that hasn’t moved in 25 years

Attachments

• CA039F20-CD29-495E-8DF4-B1A948A75340.jpeg
    CA039F20-CD29-495E-8DF4-B1A948A75340.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 235

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Honestly at this stage if I have to take the gearbox out to fix it I might just swap the whole engine and gearbox out and put a 253 in. Saves me messing about with an engine and gearbox that hasn’t moved in 25 years

If you want to have a V8 in the long run, it is best not stuff around with something you intend to get rid of anyways....

So I'll leave the choice upto you....

Bucks7

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 Holden Wb 202
Here’s a photo of the clutch. Not sure at all what it’s meant to look like.
AFC5CE08-2683-4B03-B994-27D3D0C85A2D.jpeg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Rusty as all get go.....I'd be removing it to clean it up or as you have hinted on, to replace with another motor/gearbox

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
the reason the fork is hard is now the bolts are undone the spring is pushing against the for as the spring has been released.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
the reason the fork is hard is now the bolts are undone the spring is pushing against the for as the spring has been released.

And once the cable has been released, the clutch fork should move freely back and forth...If the clutch fork won't move, it says it would be seized against the pivot....Looking at the picture supplied by the op, the amount of rust in the clutch area, it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't seized due to rust....

Bucks7

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 Holden Wb 202
Well a little update, managed to fix this issue by unbolting the pressure plate from the flywheel and using a flat head screwdriver to pry the clutch away from the flywheel. With the help of a bit of wd40 it seemed to do the trick. Got tyres on it today and took it for a short drive. Couldn’t be better