Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch problems VS Ute ,getrag gearbox

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Im just wanting to know the common symptoms of a failing clutch master cylinder as I haven’t had much to do with them for some time.A young lass has bought her 1996 VS Ute,Getrag gearbox,so it’s has a hydraulic clutch,to me to have a look at as she is having clutch problems.At first start up,all seems fine,goes into gear,take off is fine,but after driving a km or so,its very hard to shift down the gears,to becoming near impossible.Also when attempting to come to a stand still,the vehicle is still creeping forward.Even turning the engine off and engaging 1st gear,turning key with clutch depressed ,the vehicle lurches forward.There is no slippage from the clutch under acceleration.With my limited experience with hydraulic clutches,I’m leaning towards,air in the system or a failing master cylinder.The slave cylinder was replaced not long ago apparently.Any info would be very much appreciated,Cheers,James

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Try bleeding the system. If it still has issues and the slave is new the try the master.
Could also be a broken fork.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Try bleeding the system. If it still has issues and the slave is new the try the master.
Could also be a broken fork.
Do you know what’s involved in removing the master cylinder?The reservoir is full of black crap.From what I can understand,the bloke who installed the slave cylinder was a bit of a weekend warrior,charged her a heap,and never fixed the problem.I’m thinking that I will remove everything,inspect it all,clean it all,bleed it properly,see how I go.The last car I had with hydraulic clutch was a GT Cortina,so I’m a bit rusty.The VS I have has a cable clutch,so only issue I’ve ever had is the cable breaking.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yea just pull it all out take it all apart and inspect.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The attached instructions should help you - unless shane-3800s "instructions" were sufficient !!! Make sure you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it on the vehicle.

Attachments

• VS Master Cylinder Description.pdf
    229.9 KB · Views: 540
  • VS Master Cylinder.pdf
    638.4 KB · Views: 214

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
The attached instructions should help you - unless shane-3800s "instructions" were sufficient !!! Make sure you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it on the vehicle.
Is the clutch master removal similar

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
clutch master cylinder bolted to firewall,remote reservoir bolts to side of booster or m/cyl...follow hose.

slave cylinder is bolted near top of g/box...follow the fluid lines on side of g/box...bleed nipple on slave cylinder iirc...flush/bleed system out properly.

Might as well change g/box to correct fluid whilst there & inspect or replace rubber bushes in shifter linkages if soft & fubar'd.

Then hope for the best on test drive....

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Just for the record, I fully flushed and bled the clutch system 2 weeks ago.So far everything is working as it should.

Reactions: Lex