Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

C'mon Holden! Why not a turbo?!

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
andrewmac said:
SS has always been an 8 (correct me if im wrong) and to make it into a 6 im sure would just ruin its image.

VT SS S1 had a choice of either 5L (S2 got the GENIII) or the L67... but otherwise yeh all v8.

Supercharged 6 would be more appropriate as an sv6 option (as in the VY), since it's unlikely an unmodded engine would put out as much as the LS2.

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
A pity then that you put the wipers on when trying to indicate you're intention to turn when in a European vehicle. Best you keep practicing those defensive driver skills cause people can't tell where you intend to go by looking at your wipers.

I have also got a few classes of licence: CA, R, MR, HR and O

I have done the Drive Safe Australia Defencive Driver Course, an Advanced driver training course at Eastern Creek and also hold a CAMS license (did that one at Oran Park - South Circuit).

No amount of training though can teach common sense - that's a "you've got it or you don't" thing I'm affraid.

Oh... ok. Do you have Z too?

It's called 'less than perfect' like everyone else, even professionals, even you...

I'm sure you've also done some ****-ups in whatever vehicle you were in at the time. That's part of learning smartarse.

First time I drove a European vehicle on my P's and I qucikly learned after a few mistakes after I switched off the wiper and indicated before I turned. I was born in Holland and I've been back there a few times recently (of course after using the Astra) and driving is a breeze over there.

You don't know me from a bar of soap and already you're judging me because of a stupid little erk.

I can fix my problems but I don't think you can fix being 5 foot tall and 6 foot up yourself.

Last edited:

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
The SS will always be a V8 (as mentioned the image will be ruined if a V6 is introduced), I reckon the seriesII VE will come with either a turbo or supercharger for the Calais, Berlina and SV6, if not VE then the VF (not sure).

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
There's absolutely no reason they couldn't do a single-turbo V6 if they wanted to - ever wonder how a WRX runs a single turbo with a horizontally opposed engine?

The real question is whether Holden wants to go down that path. It was a roaring success in the VL, and Ford is getting some great press with the XR6T. Holden could do it again, but instead it's been sticking with the bolt-in power of the engines developed in the US. This is a lot cheaper than developing a new engine package, and has the advantage of being a known quantity so it should be relatively bug-free.

The supercharged V6 was never much of a sales success for Holden so perhaps they're just steering clear of forced induction and working on efficiency enhancers like displacement on demand.

The other factor to consider is that emissions regulations are getting tougher and tougher, and forced aspiration engines (particularly turbo engines) are much more difficult to tune to pass stringent emissions controls. Even the Japanese, who have been the biggest promotors of turbos over the past few years, are not producing many turbo cars anymore because of this. Since the Falcon turbo motor isn't exported anywhere much, this isn't much of an issue for Ford. But Commodores get exported heaps of places, and Holden would want a single engine package they could sell anywhere.

Rombles

HSVDT #1
Reaction score
Website
rombles.msn.space.com
Members Ride
HSVDT Limited Ed'n Z Series Clubsport #8-6.0L/M6
If you have a look at the range of American GM cars - Chevy, Pontiac, Buick & Cadillac - they have heaps of cars with Supercharged engines as an option - I was quite surprised what they were supercharging when I looked a while ago! This shows, though, that there is plenty of S/C technology floating around GM, which Holden could probably access if they wanted to. But like has been said before, the previous Supercharged Commodores weren't as popular as they could have been, so I doubt they would rush down that path again. If they are going to look at other engine packages, yes, I agree it would be nice to have a Turbo to go up against the Ford, but the Diesel has to be the top priority with the state of the world at the moment. As a V8 fan I would hope DoD would be further up the priority list than a Turbo as well. The smaller 6 cylinder engine size should also be looked into, but only if fleets stay away from the 3.6L due to fuel economy concerns - and they will need to wait a while to see how that is going before they push it into the market....

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
The SS will always be a V8
Shame that.

Why then couldn't the S or SV6 have been the same as the SS, with the motor being the only difference? The S's had smaller wheels and didn't have the SS style headlights but I'm sure those aren't the only things.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Holden to unleash Commodore Turbo with 6 speed auto in the week of the all New Falcon;).

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
SlickHolden said:
Holden to unleash Commodore Turbo with 6 speed auto in the week of the all New Falcon;).

:thumbsup: Time will Tell

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I agree that Holden should bring out a sporty 6 with all the same bits as an SS except the V8. However, I don't agree it should still be called an SS. The SS name should be reserved for V8's only.

Holden nearly got it right with the S and SV6, but they still had smaller wheels, different (not as nice) headlights, rear wing etc. They should probably cater for the guys who want all the same sexy bits as an SS without the V8 running costs...

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Well if the SV6 comes in turbo, it'll probably be more costly to run then the V8.