Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

C'mon Holden! Why not a turbo?!

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Not necessarily. Depending on the type of forced induction technology and how reliable it is, if you push the accelerator with restraint, you'd still have less fuel consumption than a V8 by far.

If you go hard on the stick all the time, yeah then you'd start seeing fuel consumption figures rising a bit.

As for parts and labour, using an example like the XR6T, it's about the same amount of money to keep running comparable to your Holden 6's. You just gotta change the oil out a bit more often for the turbo and keep a closer eye on it.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
SlickHolden said:
Holden to unleash Commodore Turbo with 6 speed auto in the week of the all New Falcon;).

Hmmm... if that's true, we might be seeing Commodores on the street going "pffffft" in between gears!

...The mental image isn't really doing it for me...

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Drive a decent turbo car, just once, and you'll understand why people love them. The "pffft" noise is optional, but if you're serious about speed you've almost got to have it.

But I bet that we won't see a factory turbo VE on any showroom floors. Holden already has a 2-tier V6 line-up - adding a 3rd one would be too much, and the cost upgrade to a V8 model isn't all that much.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
I assume you mean blow off when you're talking about the "pffft" noise. Actually, the better option is a waste gate. Blow off valves are for show - "LOOK AT ME AND MY TURBO CAR". Waste gates are MUCH more efficient and provide more continual power.

Best Twin Turbo car I've driven - 2000 model Twin Turbo Toyota Supra straight 6. No blow offs or wastes gates (the guy had just got it) and it blew EVERY WRX (incl STis) that pulled up next to us. No V8 even came close Even a HSV GTO Monaro! Was awesome!

That said, I wouldn't buy one. My purchase is a lot less about power.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
davey g-force said:
we might be seeing Commodores on the street going "pffffft" in between gears!

Tell me, how many XR6 Turbos have you seen on the street going "pffffft" between gears?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
Tell me, how many XR6 Turbos have you seen on the street going "pffffft" between gears?

A couple actually.

I just don't reckon it suits bigger cars. Might just need some getting used to...

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
Am I the only one that doesn't get that? lol :D

I don't think there is much market for Holden in the SV6 twin turbo market... They have so much invested in the best V8's (between Ford and Holden) and don't want to do what Ford has done to the XR8 (made it redundant). Make a twin turbo SV6, SS or SSV and the V8 sales drop - plain and simple. It would be far easier to get more power from a twin turbo 6 than a naturally aspirated 8. And fuel prices aren't on their side either (not that anyone other than enthusiasts would by a twin turbo anyway).

More worth their while to bring on DoD for the V8s to get their consumption figures down (at least when you drive them like a Nanna) and to focus on a diesel engine (option for the whole range except SS and SV8).

But I have to agree - I want a VE Commodore hatch! :thumbsup:
have you seen the "i only buy milk and juice in 2L, Not cars" or something like that.

Rombles

HSVDT #1
Reaction score
Website
rombles.msn.space.com
Members Ride
HSVDT Limited Ed'n Z Series Clubsport #8-6.0L/M6
klaw81 said:
.....But I bet that we won't see a factory turbo VE on any showroom floors. Holden already has a 2-tier V6 line-up - adding a 3rd one would be too much, and the cost upgrade to a V8 model isn't all that much.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Turbo Commodore, and possibly even as soon as the Series 2 VE. But it'll be a Turbo Diesel. :thumbsup:

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
hmmm yes thats probably all its gonna be

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
phat_com said:
have you seen the "i only buy milk and juice in 2L, Not cars" or something like that.

Errr... yeah... But what has that got to do with my post? I'm one of the advocates of large capacity, high output engines already. I don't care what I pay at the pump. Fact is though, I don't need more than the 195kw the V6 puts out, so I won't buy a V8.