Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

C'mon Holden! Why not a turbo?!

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
Originally Posted by Ripcell
plus, turbos belong on milk and juice bottles

thats a pretty lame attitude to have these days considering the amount of 4 and 6 cylinder turbos going around these days that blow the doors off the average v8.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Ripcell said:
plus, turbos belong on milk and juice bottles

Am I the only one that doesn't get that? lol :D

I don't think there is much market for Holden in the SV6 twin turbo market... They have so much invested in the best V8's (between Ford and Holden) and don't want to do what Ford has done to the XR8 (made it redundant). Make a twin turbo SV6, SS or SSV and the V8 sales drop - plain and simple. It would be far easier to get more power from a twin turbo 6 than a naturally aspirated 8. And fuel prices aren't on their side either (not that anyone other than enthusiasts would by a twin turbo anyway).

More worth their while to bring on DoD for the V8s to get their consumption figures down (at least when you drive them like a Nanna) and to focus on a diesel engine (option for the whole range except SS and SV8).

But I have to agree - I want a VE Commodore hatch! :thumbsup:

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
I have mentioned this b4 and i will again.
Holden seem to be the biggest car tease around, just look at the concepts that they have made, the Torana it was a hatch was a twin turbo and incredible styling.The ssx again another hatch, AWD, and again looked good (similar design elements to the ve sports models now that i look at it).
And obviously they will never bring the EFIJY to production but just look at that thing i know ppl who dont even like holden who would kill to get there hands on it.
My point is that when they bring out cars like this obviously ppl are going to start expecting or wondering when a production version will be coming out.
The fact that they have made turbo's and hatches at least shows us that they are thinking about it and they have made it so it wasnt just a "would'nt it be cool if we made a hatch" momment.

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
kinkbike_rider said:
lol isent there a astra turbo? go for that....

**** that mate!

I can't stand the indicator lever on the left side! It looks funny when I put the wipers on by accident when I'm about to turn.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
TehFastyOneIt looks funny when I put the wipers on by accident when I'm about to turn.[/QUOTE said:
LOL!!! That's driver error... Learn to drive mate! Doesn't matter what side of the stalk things are on, YOU are in control. Must look funny when you holiday in America trying to drive from the passenger seat too!

Rombles

HSVDT #1
Reaction score
Website
rombles.msn.space.com
Members Ride
HSVDT Limited Ed'n Z Series Clubsport #8-6.0L/M6
Maybe they should go for a Twin Turbo V8????? (Is such a thing even possible?)

BTW doesn't the AH Astra have the indicator on the correct side? My TS was backwards, but I'm sure they are right now.

I agree about DoD and Diesel options.... bring them on!

Also, there is a reference waaaay up further on this thread to the "benchmark Holden" only being available with a V8. um, I think you'll find that the Calais comes in both V6 and V8 options. What we actually need is a VE with the lot - ie either SS with all Calais V funky bits, or Calais V with SS styling.... THAT would then become what I suspect was being refered to - and would solve my dilemma of what to get!

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
Rombles said:
Maybe they should go for a Twin Turbo V8????? (Is such a thing even possible?)

BTW doesn't the AH Astra have the indicator on the correct side? My TS was backwards, but I'm sure they are right now.

I agree about DoD and Diesel options.... bring them on!

Also, there is a reference waaaay up further on this thread to the "benchmark Holden" only being available with a V8. um, I think you'll find that the Calais comes in both V6 and V8 options. What we actually need is a VE with the lot - ie either SS with all Calais V funky bits, or Calais V with SS styling.... THAT would then become what I suspect was being refered to - and would solve my dilemma of what to get!
"Um, I think you'll find" that was me. I agree with you that the Calais would be the benchmark, but the SS is more desired for the sport factor for most. A lot of people will probably contest which is the benchmark model. You know what I meant.

What I was saying was that V8 and s/cV6 SS's could have been sold side by side and I think many people would prefer the V6 SS rather than downgrading to the 'S' or Berlina, or upgrading to the Calais.

And why does it matter which side the wiper or indicator stalks are on? If you can't get over it after turning about say, 3 corners, then you shouldn't be driving. As if that is a reason not to get a car anyway.

Rombles

HSVDT #1
Reaction score
Website
rombles.msn.space.com
Members Ride
HSVDT Limited Ed'n Z Series Clubsport #8-6.0L/M6
glassjowned said:
"Um, I think you'll find" that was me. I agree with you that the Calais would be the benchmark, but the SS is more desired for the sport factor for most. A lot of people will probably contest which is the benchmark model. You know what I meant.

What I was saying was that V8 and s/cV6 SS's could have been sold side by side and I think many people would prefer the V6 SS rather than downgrading to the 'S' or Berlina, or upgrading to the Calais.

And why does it matter which side the wiper or indicator stalks are on? If you can't get over it after turning about say, 3 corners, then you shouldn't be driving. As if that is a reason not to get a car anyway.

Yes, I know what you meant, and I disagree. Why does "sport factor" make it a benchmark moreso than "luxury factor"? Is "benchmark" even the right word for what we are debating here? Should we actually be talking about "pinnacle" instead?

For those who want sport they will go for the SS or SS-V.
For those who want luxury they will go for the Calais or Calais-V.
For those who want both sport and luxury, well, I need to test both to see which way to go!

Isn't the SV6 aimed at those who want a V6 SS?

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
Yes, I think it is, but its not an SS with a V6, which I think it should be.

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
there should be a sv6 with all the options of the ssv

the ssv has most of the options of the calais except the dvd player, and a couple of minor luxuries, personally i think ssv is the pick of the ve's especially as its got a 6 spd manual