Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

C'mon Holden! Why not a turbo?!

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
I assume you mean blow off when you're talking about the "pffft" noise. Actually, the better option is a waste gate. Blow off valves are for show - "LOOK AT ME AND MY TURBO CAR". Waste gates are MUCH more efficient and provide more continual power.

Best Twin Turbo car I've driven - 2000 model Twin Turbo Toyota Supra straight 6. No blow offs or wastes gates (the guy had just got it) and it blew EVERY WRX (incl STis) that pulled up next to us. No V8 even came close Even a HSV GTO Monaro! Was awesome!
You're right, the Supra is an awesome car and gets way better with a few simple mods. But you should brush up on your turbo knowledge.....all Supras and all turbo cars have wastegates, and nearly all turbo cars have blow-off valves.

A blow-off valvle vents usused boost in the intake when the throttle is abruptly closed. The pssssh! noise is the compressed air escaping. The idea is that the turbine isn't suddenly stopped dead by the sudden loss of air flow - sudden stops are bad for turbine wheels because of the shock loading, and bad for throttle response because the turbine needs to reach high speed before more boost is created - which means you lose power momentarily at gear changes. A good blow-off valve makes a world of difference to the driveablility of a car. However, the noise is optional - most factory blow-off valves are virtually silent.

A wastegate is a mandatory part of any turbo installation on a petrol engine. Their function is to control boost by allowing some exhaust gas to bypass the turbine - this keeps the turbine speed constant regardless of the volume and velocity of exhaust gas coming from the engine. Wastegates are commonly built into the exhaust turbine casting of a turbo, but high-power installations often have an external waste-gate because they are more efficient and can flow a larger amount of gas.

And Rombles, I agree that a turbo diesel is a very likely addition to the line-up, given the massive increase in diesel passenger car sales in Oz over the past 3 years. And it wouldn't have to be boring either, some of the diesel Euros have some serious stick.

Last edited:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
klaw81 said:
...I agree that a turbo diesel is a very likely addition to the line-up, given the massive increase in diesel passenger car sales in Oz over the past 3 years. And it wouldn't have to be boring either, some of the diesel Euros have some serious stick.

From what I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong), the problem with turbo diesels is that while they can produce large amounts of power, the power only comes on in a very limited part of the rev range. Thus, they have a short power band - they kick you back in the seat for 1 or 2 seconds then you quickly have to change gears and wait for the turbo to spool up again...

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
The problem with diesels in general is that while they produce masses of torque, it's over a fairly limited rev range and peak power is still quite low. Some of this can be overcome with appropriate gearing, and some of it is just perception of what a car should be like to drive. Recent developments like common-rain direct injection and new materials have allowed modern turbo-diesel engines become revvier and more petrol-like to drive, and all these things combined with high petrol prices mean that more and more people are looking at diesel as a practical alternative. It has its own problems, sure...but they're getting better every day. And the Audi win at Le Mans is pretty convincing proof that diesels can keep with the best of them.

holdenrules

Reaction score
klaw81 said:
Drive a decent turbo car, just once, and you'll understand why people love them. The "pffft" noise is optional, but if you're serious about speed you've almost got to have it.

You could always put one of these on your blow off valve and be done with it ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNxugO-uf0

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
You're missing the point a little bit.....the reason you have a big (and therefore loud) blow-off valve is the same reason you have a big exhaust - to flow more gas, more quickly. If you're running a large turbo and/or a lot of boost, there's a lot of compressed air you need to get rid of in a short space of time, so a big blow-off valve is a must.

You could put one of those duck-call noises in your exhaust pipe too, if you wanted to.

Brumbies 5L

Dont Gossip, Just Torque!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L
plus, turbos belong on milk and juice bottles

phat_com said:
have you seen the "i only buy milk and juice in 2L, Not cars" or something like that.

Once more for the slow people (ie scotty doesn't know).
The only thing that comes in 2 litres is milk or juice...

Got it now? Or do you really not know?:whistling

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Well there is **** loads of things that come in 2 litres other than milk or juice so I don't see any joke...