Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coalition unveil their broadband and internet policy

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
The Coalition has unveiled its broadband and internet policy | News.com.au

Basically instead of fibre-to-the-node or fibre-to-the-home it will be a mixture of different technologies and fund to try to encourage private companies to improve on existing technology. Minimum speeds will start at 12Mbps compared to 100Mbps for Labor's National Broadband Network.

This is a FAR MORE PRACTICAL approach than Labor's "spend spend spend" mentality. 12Mbps is the minimum standard they're aiming for which is more than adequate for home use. What Labor fail to understand is there is little benefit in going to 100Mbps to the home because the links out of Australia can't handle that capacity for everyone to the majority of the internet (which is external to Australia).

As well as that, there is plenty of existing infrastructure than can be used more effectively or upgraded where it's needed. NEW fibre does not need to be laid to every house in the country.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yeah Id have to see more details on it before I gave my two thumbs up but it sounds a lot more practical and cost effective. While the speed doesnt seem to crash hot it is the minimum so you can easily expect higher speeds depending on location.

Cost is a big thing here, 6 billion dollars is a lot easier to swallow from a taxpayers point of view, than 43 billion, especially when your borrowing more and more everyday. A huge plus is also, Conroy wont get his mits on it.

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
100 Mbps is overkill for the majority of people. I can't see how the government can spend $47bn and keep the cost of downloads (per mb) down to affordable prices. It will take several years for the NBN to reach most homes anyway. It seems at this stage the coalition's network will take less time to deploy than the NBN will.

kalekale

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina
Australia needs the NBN, 12 Mbps isnt enough. Do you all remember when people thought dial up was fast enough?

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Australia needs the NBN, 12 Mbps isnt enough. Do you all remember when people thought dial up was fast enough?

No I can't remember anyone saying dial up was fast enough. 12 Mbps is the minimum speed.

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
I thought most places in Australia could already get ADSL2 ?

QldKev

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car

How fast do you think you, as an individual sharing with MILLIONS of other people, are going to be able to connect to the internet even with a 100Mbps FTTH connection? Think about it ffs and don't just make stupid comments.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Why do Australians need it? Seriously? I'd love to know.

kalekale

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina
Anyone watch the ICT debate?

The NBN is setting us up for the future. Whats the maximum speed for the Libs plan? even they avoided that question. Fibre optics has the ability of 10 Gbps, imagine what our country could achieve with those type of speeds? Japan has had 100 Mbps for the last 5 years