Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code 13 Code 23 & Code 63

aconre8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore wagon
Can someone please explain this one to me?
I changed the engine mounts on my v6 VT wagon and replaced a broken rear exhaust manifold stud on passenger side exhaust at the same time.
I ended up removing both exhaust manifolds as it gave me the room i needed to access the incredibly tight engine mount nuts.
All went back together well.
I started the car....ran smoothly, but when i took it out for a test spin is started lagging under load. (misfire)
The only wiring i disconnected during the engine mount job was the air intake temp sensor (located on air cleaner cover) & the airflow meter sensor to get the air induct pipe out of the way.
When i retrieved codes it gave me code 13 (R/H o2 sensor no signal) code 23 (Intake air temp sensor high voltage) & code 63 (L/H o2 sensor no signal).
I changed the least expensive item (the air intake temp sensor) believing this was triggerring an incorrect o2 sensor reading but it made no difference.
I replaced the notorious coil pack with second hand unit and again no difference.
I replaced the leads and still no difference.
Finally i replaced the spark plugs which were only 4 months old and the problem was sorted.
None of the old plugs looked any different (colour wise) to the other.
So my question is, why did I get codes relating to o2 sensors & air intake temp sensors when it was an ignition problem?

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
if plugs are misfiring unburnt fuel mixture, which will contain oxygen
will go down the exhaust
i dont think that is what was happening though
did you happen to disturb engine ground, changing mounts

aconre8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore wagon
I don't think I disturbed the ground.
I made sure there were no sandwiched cables or wires when re-installing the mounts.
Funny thing was i purchased a scan tool which I ended up returning cos it was OBD2 & VT V6 is ALDL (Lucky for me I got my $249 back) so I resorted to the paper clip option to get the codes....for free!