Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code 13 - Oxygen Sensor (O2) - No Signal

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Long story short.

About 2 months ago, got engine warning light come for 30 sec or so then went. (Knew it'd be nothing really bad as I've only just put a new motor in)

Since then have put an A/F gauge in and have been able to see what exactly is going on with the mixture.

As fuel consumption has not been anywhere near as good as i used to be able to get, I decided to put a new 02 sensor in.

Did that prob 2 weeks ago, started off reading just on rich for a few days on my A/F Gauge, then started sitting in lean more and only getting up to optimal on long steady drives pretty much.

Engine light comes on for 10 sec or so then goes off, specially when alot of stop start driving around town.

Been to the coast and back and had no probs, but as soon as I got back into shitty driving it did it again.

Anyone have any ideas why it's doing this?

Everything is hooked up correctly etc.

Thanks

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If you have double checked all the 02 sensors wiring and connectors, and have replaced the 02 sensors,then Id be looking at trying a different ECU to see if the problem goes away then.A faulty ECU is rare,but it can sometimes happen.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm still seeing how it goes, reset the ecu this morning and so far it's been a lot better. Fingers crossed it stays good. If not think I will have to try a different ECU hey.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,Ive had my cooling fans fail before in my VS,and I looked at everything trying to find the problem,it took me days.It ended up being the ECU,the last thing I expected it to be.The mainboard inside the ECU had a hole burned right through it where the cooling fan connections are on the board.There was no moisture involved either.It just fried itself....

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Could very well be the problem then ha. Since last post, engine light has come back on. Is giving the shits big time. Gonna try source a fairly cheap ECU and give it a go. Any suggestions of cheapest place to get one in Sydney (other than ebay?) Is a wreckers worth the risk, sure it would be fine just don't want to get false readings if one I get is stuffed lol

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
If you have double checked all the 02 sensors wiring and connectors, and have replaced the 02 sensors,then Id be looking at trying a different ECU to see if the problem goes away then.A faulty ECU is rare,but it can sometimes happen.

Hi, sorry to but in fellors i have the vr v6.. But i have replaced my 4 wire o2 sensor with a universal one which of course is a 4 wire one, three months ago..
The existing wires were the same colours as my new one, Which looked like they had been joined previously. As the wires for the o2 sensor have 1 black wire, 1 grey wire, and 2 white wires. I understand the 2 white wires could be put either way ?
What are the matching factory wire colours?

I don't know why im getting that code 13 now, could moisture short out the wiring to bugger the sensor?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi, sorry to but in fellors i have the vr v6.. But i have replaced my 4 wire o2 sensor with a universal one which of course is a 4 wire one, three months ago..
The existing wires were the same colours as my new one, Which looked like they had been joined previously. As the wires for the o2 sensor have 1 black wire, 1 grey wire, and 2 white wires. I understand the 2 white wires could be put either way ?

I don't know why im getting that code 13 now, could moisture short out the wiring to bugger the sensor?

Looking at the VR wiring diagram. The 4 wires go to the followiing-
Pink/blue wire goes from 02 sensor to fuse number 12. (12 volt sensor heater supply)
Violet (purple) wire goes from 02 sensor to ECU terminal number C14. (Sensor data)
Both Black wires go from the 02 sensor to ECU terminal C13, C2 and C3 which all join up as one, and are then earthed. (For VR auto ECU)

Id say that the 2 white wires on the aftermarket 02 sensor are definitely the 2 earths, and will join the 2 black wires. Im not 100% sure about which way the other 2 go. Ones obviously the 12 volt power supply for the 02 sensors heater. The others for the sensor data. Someone else here has probably been through the same thing when replacing the o2 sensor and can probably help you ouit there.. Does that universal 02 sensor have a brand name at all? Maybe they have a website which might show what wire is used for what.
Also I didnt think NZ commodores had 02 sensors?

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Looking at the VR wiring diagram. The 4 wires go to the followiing-
Pink/blue wire goes from 02 sensor to fuse number 12. (12 volt sensor heater supply)
Violet (purple) wire goes from 02 sensor to ECU terminal number C14. (Sensor data)
Both Black wires go from the 02 sensor to ECU terminal C13, C2 and C3 which all join up as one, and are then earthed. (For VR auto ECU)

Id say that the 2 white wires on the aftermarket 02 sensor are definitely the 2 earths, and will join the 2 black wires. Im not 100% sure about which way the other 2 go. Ones obviously the 12 volt power supply for the 02 sensors heater. The others for the sensor data. Someone else here has probably been through the same thing when replacing the o2 sensor and can probably help you ouit there.. Does that universal 02 sensor have a brand name at all? Maybe they have a website which might show what wire is used for what.
Also I didnt think NZ commodores had 02 sensors?

Sorry about the late reply... But yes my VR V6 has a 4wire 02 sensor. I'm on here today cause i'm going to try the earth wire fix like the vs earth problem. Fingers crossed it mite fix my 02 error (code 13).

I did have the brand, but i threw the box out a while ago now damn it.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon

Black is usually sensor earth.
Grey is signal
White is heater circuit and are not polarity sensitive. (can go either way)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
^^ as above. The VS only had the issues with earthing, no other model as far as I know had the same issue.