Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

code 21, 23 and 47...holden dealer time?

AGRO_38

Formerly SLAYR
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS UTE
After testing my car (thinking there was something wrong) and it came up with the errors

21- Throttle Position Sensor- High Voltage

23- Mass Air Temp Sensor- High Voltage

47- Crank Angle Reference Signal

Should i just take the car to holden and let them deal with it?
what have you guys done with these problems
the car has only done 85,000kms....

any help would be well appreciated

Joe_222

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
get yourself a gregories and a multimeter, test those sensors following old maties instructions and replace if necassery. If they test fine reset the fault codes and check again after a drive. If the sensors test o.k. and the faults reoccur then you'll just have to wait till someone smarter than me replies.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Dont go to holden mate. Why would you when you have us. Infact consider yourself a member of 2 clubs. Justcommodores and the faulty crank angle sensor club. The 47 is the crank angle sensor, the other two are likely to be spin off's of the crank angle sensor problem. Do a search if you want on crank angle sensors, or CAS. There will be one million posts on them. Replacement is about $55 for a new CAS, and about $60-$100 if you pay someone to do it for you.

AGRO_38

Formerly SLAYR
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS UTE
Dont go to holden mate. Why would you when you have us. Infact consider yourself a member of 2 clubs. Justcommodores and the faulty crank angle sensor club. The 47 is the crank angle sensor, the other two are likely to be spin off's of the crank angle sensor problem. Do a search if you want on crank angle sensors, or CAS. There will be one million posts on them. Replacement is about $55 for a new CAS, and about $60-$100 if you pay someone to do it for you.

thanks mate! trust me i have read so many posts about the CAS, its just confusing
and should a replacement CAS be bought at holden?

AGRO_38

Formerly SLAYR
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS UTE
hey guys, i just spoke to a mate, who asked his tafe teachers about the CAS, and he reckons it cant be that, because if it was faulty the car wouldnt start? buti have the code, then car wont start sumtimes, and it just dies when driving sumtimes??

is it a big job
he said we would have to remove most of the front of the engine?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
It is the CAS. Thats why the car dies and wont start every now and then. The CAS problems always start intermitantly. its not a big job to replace, only need to remove harmonic balancer with a puller tool. Check all you fuses before you do anything else.

You only live around the corner from me, gimme 50 bucks and i'll change it, i have the tool. Done it many times, lol.

AGRO_38

Formerly SLAYR
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS UTE
It is the CAS. Thats why the car dies and wont start every now and then. The CAS problems always start intermitantly. its not a big job to replace, only need to remove harmonic balancer with a puller tool. Check all you fuses before you do anything else.

You only live around the corner from me, gimme 50 bucks and i'll change it, i have the tool. Done it many times, lol.

thanks mate, if he still thinks its too hard (hes a 3rd yr mech, and his dad own his own workshop) then il neeed your help lol.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yeah, your mates tafe teacher is wrong. The CAS will do all sorts of crazy things. When mine failed, sometimes it stalled when i was driving and restarted a few mins later, sometimes it failed when I tried to start it when it was warm (ie after filling up petrol my car wouldnt start again). Sometimes it wouldnt start and then it would.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
if it's the cas it's because when they get old they stop working when it heats up, carry a bottle of water with ya, when it stops poor water over the back of the ballancer wheel area where the cas is, the water will help cool it, if it then starts it's the cas.