Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code 31 - Theft Deterrent Signal Missing help :(

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
Hi guys i have a problem with my vr. When i turn the barrel the ignition comes on and fuel pump primes ect but it wont kickover or crank. Did the diagnostic and it comes up Code 31 - Theft Deterrent Signal Missing.

I had a spare key and head programmed about a month ago and both keys have been working fine till now. I have tried starting with both keys and no luck.
Now i have been over all the other threads on this and i have tried popping the 2 contacts on the ignition barrel out abit for good contact and still no go.

What else can it be or anything i havent tried ???
Thanks

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
i have same error code...but nothing wrong with the car..... mine starts and drives as it should....

but i'd like to know what the code actually means

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Theft deterrant is the immobiliser, check your wires make sure they are connected.

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
what was the problem my car is doing the same thing?????

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Would you mind sharing the fix?

I sent him a PM and here is the reply.

I cant remember exactly what i did as it has been years since i have owned this car.
From memory the problem was the key reader on the ignition barrel. The key reader is the 2 metal things on either side of the barrel.
On your remote head you will see on one side on the bottom it will have a tiny metal ball sticking out of the remote head.
What you have to do is with the key reader bend them out a litte bit so it makes good contact with the metal bit on the remote head.
Once you finished make sure that when you insert the key with the the ignotion in off position both are making contact and then once turned fully to the on position the metal bits are still making contact so it the whole way round.