Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

code 56, running to lean under load?

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
Hey all,

My car has been running like a bag of **** for the past month or 2. It struggles to rev, kind of like it's missing a lot. I did an error check and came up with code 56 (running lean under load). This only happens when the engine has warmed up but seems to drive normal when it's cold. I'm assuming it's something electrical since it only happens when its warmed up. Any suggestions?

thanks

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
I had a similar issue, without fault code, was caused by bad coils... do you know anyone you can borrow one off to test?

It was fine on idle, nice and smooth, as soon as I accellerate it was missing

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
coils are fine, i checked the resistance on them and they were floating around 6.4 ohms. I just recently replaced my O2 sensor as well. It only does this when the engine is warm. :(

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try re-fitting your old 02 sensor and see if it makes any difference as it sounds a bit of a coincidence.

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
it was doing this while i had the old O2 sensor in it. However, i am getting better economy, half a tank of petrol got me roughly 240 km. I'm thinking it could be the fuel pressure regulator. There might be not enough pressure in the fuel system.

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
could be blockage in the fuel system. change the fuel filter to. and check your injectors

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
fuel filter and fuel pump were changed 2000 km ago. i highly doubt it could be vapour lock. Doesn't that usually happen to carby cars and hot weather?

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
vapour lock can happen on fuel injection as well, but the reason we have the pump inside the tank is to prevent vapour lock (the pumps cooler there than if its in engine bay, and then the whole fuel system can be under pressure)

luxadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 hilux dual cab/VR V6
how are you progressing with your problem? I have the exact same issue with my VR same code 56, I am thinking it's either shot fuel pressure regulator, clogged fuel filter or dirty injectors