Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code P0717

Dek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU commodore
Hey, I've got a 2006 VZ sv6 commodore (automatic) and error code "P0717 - input/turbine shaft speed sensor 'A' circuit no signal"
Im thinking about replacing the speed sensor in the transmission but i need some more insight on what people think. The transmission is shifting really hard from 1st to 2nd and the speedo is out of wack, i've heard they're some symptoms of a faulty speed sensor.

If it is the speed sensor can someone please tell me on it's whereabouts on the trans and a brief explanation on getting to it (if it is difficult to get to)

Cheers

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
If you have the 5L40e 5 speed trans which i think the sv6 has, the input speed sensor is easily accessed after dropping the pan.

To see where your best bet is to checkout some 5l40 teardown videos.

If you have a 4L604 speed it is in the pump and requires the trans to be removed and pulled down.

Dek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU commodore
If you have the 5L40e 5 speed trans which i think the sv6 has, the input speed sensor is easily accessed after dropping the pan.

To see where your best bet is to checkout some 5l40 teardown videos.

If you have a 4L604 speed it is in the pump and requires the trans to be removed and pulled down.
Awesome mate thanks for the help

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Don’t know about the VZ auto trans or whether it’s an M30, 4L60 or some other auto.

Whatever the case, a P0717 DTC is a sensor issue which can mean that the sensor is faulty, the wiring is faulty or the TCM/PCM/ECU that reads the sensor and or provides the earth is faulty.
So don’t assume the sensor is cactus until you check things. You need to check the wiring as a start point. I’d start by checking that the sensor has good +12v and ground at the connector pins of the transmission/sensor plug. I’d also check the speed signal wire (which can be rather tricky as it needs the voltage checks as the transmission spins).

If the sensor gets voltage and has good ground, and the sensor wire give a voltage proportional to speed, then check the same at the TCM/PCM/ECM. If the signal isn’t as expected, you’ve got a wiring fault which changing the sensor won’t solve.

Obviously having a good wiring diagram will allow you to find the correct wire, connector and pin within the connector at the transmission side and the control module side… Without such, fault finding is much more difficult unless you know the common faults and then it’s a parts cannon approach rather than test, identify, correct, confirm and have a bear type process…

See the following video which may outline a helpful approach rather than be model specific, but the principles should be sound (and if your lucky it may just be a faulty earth wire which is an easy fix)…

TFN69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Don’t know about the VZ auto trans or whether it’s an M30, 4L60 or some other auto.

Whatever the case, a P0717 DTC is a sensor issue which can mean that the sensor is faulty, the wiring is faulty or the TCM/PCM/ECU that reads the sensor and or provides the earth is faulty.
So don’t assume the sensor is cactus until you check things. You need to check the wiring as a start point. I’d start by checking that the sensor has good +12v and ground at the connector pins of the transmission/sensor plug. I’d also check the speed signal wire (which can be rather tricky as it needs the voltage checks as the transmission spins).

If the sensor gets voltage and has good ground, and the sensor wire give a voltage proportional to speed, then check the same at the TCM/PCM/ECM. If the signal isn’t as expected, you’ve got a wiring fault which changing the sensor won’t solve.

Obviously having a good wiring diagram will allow you to find the correct wire, connector and pin within the connector at the transmission side and the control module side… Without such, fault finding is much more difficult unless you know the common faults and then it’s a parts cannon approach rather than test, identify, correct, confirm and have a bear type process…

See the following video which may outline a helpful approach rather than be model specific, but the principles should be sound (and if your lucky it may just be a faulty earth wire which is an easy fix)…

Thanks Skylarking
Will there be a problem with VE Commodore 4L60 transmission the uses 2 wires. I see the video refers to 3 wire harness where they use Active, Neutral and Earth