Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Codeine crack down in Victoria

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
So I was watching the news the other day unfortunately. I prefer to boycott it but working night shift I'm outnumbered in my channel preference during my dinner break .

So it seems they are really cracking down on codeine hard now by making records so you can't doctor shop for it. I think allot of people have been doctor shopping since February when they banned it from over the counter. I think it's fair enough you shouldn't be able to see three doctors in the same day and get three boxes of panadeine forte.

Disclaimer! I'm not offering a professional opinion here!

I think we should have a right to get codeine over the counter. I think the system we had before feb was fine. They take a record and tell you to f*** off if you're getting it too often. There where some lazy chemists that didn't record it and I think they should have cracked down on them instead.

From what understand codeine is pretty well the safest opiate. It has a cealing dose which means you can only take so much before it stops working. Around 400 - 600mg. Which is roughly 40 - 60mg of morphine or 20 - 30mg of diamorphine (aka heroin). Codeine has to pass through your liver to be converted into morphine which means it won't work if you try and snort it, shelf it or inject it.

I think allot of the deaths would be more related to the paracetamol in the tablets or mixing it with other drugs, granted that is dangerous. But I think by banning codeine it's just going to send addicts to the street where they can score much better and much more dangerous opiates. Prohibition never works. And I know that statement can open up a big can of worms but I truly believe it. Yeah it's not prohibited but too many hoops to jump through just makes it easier to turn to the black market imo.

As for me I'm just annoyed that I can't go and get some panadeine when I have a bad headache or when my knees are killing me from kneeling on the grate in a spray booth all day.

Anyway tell me what you think.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I try to avoid anything with codeine in it as it makes my poos's too hard..... But having said that I have shocking teeth at the back and codeine is pretty much the only thing that helps a tooth ache, apart from a few puffs on a joint.... But the last time I used hoona was 22 years ago.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
That's another argument too I think marijuana should be completely legal for that reason. No one has ever been directly killed by it as opposed to other completely legal substances. I myself don't like weed at all and the way it makes me feel but it should be an option for people suffering with pain. Much less addictive and dangerous than pharmaceutical pain killers or sleeping/anxiety meds.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
They got the codeine ban idea from the yanks where the anesthetic Fentanyl was being mixed in and killing rock stars (and other ppl apparently ). Some people now street shopping for worse drugs instead of Dr shopping.

Regards legal Ganga. At least let me import proper CBD oil !!.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Had a lot of codeine prescribed but it doesn't do much for me pain wise just stuff up my gut.

These days I use ibuprofen and paracetamol.

Had some really good stuff after my surgery that was killer for a toothache too.

I'm all for marijuana to be legalised for pain relief, as mentioned above, a natural substance has to be better than all these chemicals we use now.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, don't know how bad it really is, understand it's a pia if you need it reasonably regular but not all the time. Fortunately I'm lucky ( no real problems ), and also hate taking stuff like that if I can avoid it .
My missus friend , who she also works with is popping pills every day because of her bad back and their work don't help, so it's just a never ending cycle.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I try to avoid anything with codeine in it as it makes my poos's too hard.....
Sorry this is probably bad taste .
Sorry that's just making me think , my misses can go for days without going ( it sometimes gives her bad pains).
Which never having that problem I don't probably fully appreciate.
Anyway a couple of years ago go holidays she's finally gone , she comes out of the dunny and goes I can't flush it .
Because blokes are animals with mostly bad habits/tastes ( just ask any woman), I had to go and look, there was a tree trunk in the bowl and I walked out (laughing ) going that's your problem u did it , fix it . Took her at least 15 minutes .

Last edited by a moderator:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Slightly off topic, but my wife was in hospital recently....When ever she asked for pain relief, for a shoulder seperation (can't remember the exact medical terminology), they kept saying they'd give her oxycodiene, despite her asking for plain ol' panadol....

Oxycodiene is highly addictive....

Long story short, but I ended up telling the nurses to **** that crap off.....As it was she was recouperating from a stroke....Having an addiction to that crap on top wasn't an option

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I try to avoid anything with codeine in it as it makes my poos's too hard..... But having said that I have shocking teeth at the back and codeine is pretty much the only thing that helps a tooth ache, apart from a few puffs on a joint.... But the last time I used hoona was 22 years ago.

Yeah, codeine can cause constipation.
Use a Magnesium supplement if you need codeine regularly, Magnesium helps loosen bowel movements, you need to adjust dosage to suit your personal biological functions and applications.
Magnesium is also good for stress, muscle cramps, or muscular aches and pains.
Also, make sure you eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and ....."fiber" ...as fiber is good for regular bowel movements, ideally you should move once a day ...also probiotics...for healthy gut bacteria, yes, our gut has natural beneficial bacteria which are important for healthy digestion.
Everyone processes codeine differently, depending on their liver function, some peoples liver can convert codeine to a morphine derivative very efficiently and it gives them a euphoric type high, other people like me don't get the euphoric high, just temporary relaxing pain relief .
Each codeine tab, either 15mg or 30mg also contains 500mg of paracetamol, adults should not consume more than 4000mg of paracetamol per 24 hours, as it will damage your liver, and if you drink alcohol you should halve your paracetamol intake.

*My sister is a qualified nutritionist, plus I've done my own research.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Prohibition never works. And I know that statement can open up a big can of worms but I truly believe it. Yeah it's not prohibited but too many hoops to jump through just makes it easier to turn to the black market imo.

As for me I'm just annoyed that I can't go and get some panadeine when I have a bad headache or when my knees are killing me from kneeling on the grate in a spray booth all day.

Anyway tell me what you think.

Yeah, I agree, illicit drug prohibition doesn't work, never has, all it does is create more negative impacts on society, gang violence and unnecessary paranoia. Illicit drugs should come under a 'health and wellbeing' policy, not a 'criminal' policy.
Canada is moving in the right direction by fully legalising cannabis (medicinal and recreational), effective this year.

Cannabis prohibition is ridiculous, just take a look at the stats on alcohol 'abuse' damage and that stuff is available in endless variety and flavours 24/7 . Over 5000 people a year die in Australia from alcohol poisoning/overdose/disease and over 400 hospital emergency room admits per day for alcohol related problems. Then there is the alcohol related violence outside pubs/clubs. I've never seen or heard of anyone becoming violent just from only smoking pot (but mixing multiple drugs can cause problems)

http://connections.edu.au/news/new-research-alcohol-related-deaths-and-hospitalisations-australia

https://www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/me...a-releases/alcohol-kills-15-australians-a-day

There are no know records of overdose deaths from cannabis, but that doesn't mean it is perfectly safe, you still inhale tar and carbon monoxide from combustion, although new technology such as vapourisers can mitigate or eliminate these negative effects.
I think cannabis should be legal in Oz, but only for responsible adult consumption, and include education on effects and dosage.
Also, Anyone supplying young kids, like 10 and 12 year olds with pot need a firm kick in the arse.
Like any drug, legal or illicit, can be detrimental to health and wellbeing when abused, or misused. It comes down to both good education and being sensible, disciplined and responsible for your own actions.