Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coil Overs or spring shock combo?

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
Hey,what about H&R adjustable coilover kit which is going for $2340 fitted.thats what i'm thinking of going with. thoughts..

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
:but recognise what I now need for the Black Pearl is ridiculously affordable and simple:
Retain front FE2 springs with Bilstein insert and collar mod, King VE II sportwagon lowered HD rears with KYB inserts.
See the spring rate and length is the critical starting point, to which the stock FE2 springs are progressive wound, ideal rate and length of travel exactly matches car's average weight - ideal clearance for roadkill / humps at front (100mm all round is legal).
Hope this helps mate, speak with GSL they'll give you a simple and professional overview versus go the mAd Siick! rebranded racing coilovers made in Taiwan, which hardly anyone bothered to research if even springs the car to spec.

Pirate, Did you end up fitting the FE2+Bilstein & King+KYB? I would be interested to know how it rides and sits. I recently fitted Xa's all round and am taking it back Monday to try sort some issues or change it.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Pirate, Did you end up fitting the FE2+Bilstein & King+KYB? I would be interested to know how it rides and sits. I recently fitted Xa's all round and am taking it back Monday to try sort some issues or change it.

Not yet sorry, I'm in SE QLD at the moment, will when I pass through Sydney next month.

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
I've had both on my cars and I personally prefer the spring/shock combo that is on my SS now. I originally had Pedders coil overs fitted to my SV6, with the car doped to about 130mm off the ground. Once I had fitted them I didn't touch the height even though I thought I would. The ride was quite firm even on the softest setting. The Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs fitted now, ride much softer but still feel great trough corners etc.

I recommend a good spring shock combo to most people, Unless they are putting in some crazy top of the line coil overs for heavy track use.

Hey Gunnazz,

Did the Bilstein/Eibach combo give you much of a drop from FE2 height, which I'm assuming your SS had prior? I want the same combo for my VE Calais and have nearly got the cash together, so will be looking at doing it soon. Also, any issues with rim size? I will keep the 18's on to begin with, but may go to 19s/20's in the near future, so would this be an issue?

I'm also a bit confused regarding the collar mod required for the Bilstein. Is it better/safer to source the correct Bilstein strut housings? Sorry for all the questions but to save some dough, I will by these first and then find someone to fit them as I've been quoted $1,495 for the Bilstein/Eibach, or $1395 for the Bilstein/H&R combo. Is there much difference between the two combos? Is Eibach worth the extra?

Any advice would be appreciated, or if anyone knows anyone that can beat those quotes, please give us a shout. Cheers

Hope you don't mind all the questions, but you are the first person I've come across that has the setup I'm interested in.