Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coil Overs or spring shock combo?

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
Hi Guy's

Just looking at getting coil overs or spring/shock combo and thought i'd get some advise from peoples experience.

Not really sure what to get looking at either nthe XYZ or Oz Racing coil overs or going the King Boge combo.
Looking to lower it about 50mm but would like to get the right height i'm after to suit the SS sedan with 19" wheels. I like a comfortable ride not harsh hence the reason i am looking at the XYZ and OZ as they are adjustable. In saying that not sure how much the shocks are involved in makind the ride hard firm soft etc.

Pros and cons ?.

Thanks

ljeff7

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SV6 Ute 60th Anniversary
You could do whatever you like with coilovers, they can be more expensive but they're definetly worth it for the adjustability.

xoom

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
i had kings SSL with monroe's improvement over stock, a few months ago i got the OZ racing (which are bc racing coilovers and rebranded for the aussie makes i believe). SO much better. ive also got superpro swaybars (got them before the coils)

im using mid way setting about 15 on front and 16 on rears. car feels alot better.

i might be selling mines soon to put stock back on if i find a buyer for my car who doesnt want them.

Gunnazz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I've had both on my cars and I personally prefer the spring/shock combo that is on my SS now. I originally had Pedders coil overs fitted to my SV6, with the car doped to about 130mm off the ground. Once I had fitted them I didn't touch the height even though I thought I would. The ride was quite firm even on the softest setting. The Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs fitted now, ride much softer but still feel great trough corners etc.

I recommend a good spring shock combo to most people, Unless they are putting in some crazy top of the line coil overs for heavy track use.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
:yarr:As above, same quest for comfort through better shocks, but my car is heavier, sometimes carries a fair load, and likely travels a lot slower on crappier roads than your beast, Manwhore.
For what I need I can't say there's much wrong with stock shittoblanket (FE2) really, but what I want is less wallow at the back with load and revised compression / rebound for ruts on stretches of unpaved track. Worth a try!
With an open wallet everyone immediately recommends coilovers so I looked into OZ (BC), as there was a decent uptake under myriad brandings worldwide about 18 months to two years ago. However some notable complaints you can google (mainly about rear tubes leaking / exploding prematurely but never mind that), the important thing was whether they had been supplied with 'incorrect' spring rates F/R for the VE/G8, ie. the spring rate of a coil is its key criterion hence sparked debate over 'correct' rate for VE SS weight in terms of kg/mm front and rear.
The whole fiasco eliminated BC et al as contenders for my suspenders yet underlined importance of A) length of travel on ride quality (effective resolution / operation of the shock tube), B) critical matching of the shock tube to spring length and rate, and C) doing some fricken independent investigation through suspension experts to understand what you are buying.
Then visited forum sponsor GSL after lengthy discussion with Fulcrum (Tein) and Pedders (SportsRyder), to get the lowdown from a couple of experts.
Bottom line is that I now want Tein mono tube all round with EDFC Active's predictive intelligence http://performance.fulcrumsuspensio...uct-catalogue/Images/PDFs/New_EDFC_ACTIVE.pdf but recognise what I now need for the Black Pearl is ridiculously affordable and simple:
Retain front FE2 springs with Bilstein insert and collar mod, King VE II sportwagon lowered HD rears with KYB inserts.
See the spring rate and length is the critical starting point, to which the stock FE2 springs are progressive wound, ideal rate and length of travel exactly matches car's average weight - ideal clearance for roadkill / humps at front (100mm all round is legal).
Hope this helps mate, speak with GSL they'll give you a simple and professional overview versus go the mAd Siick! rebranded racing coilovers made in Taiwan, which hardly anyone bothered to research if even springs the car to spec.

Last edited:

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
Thanks Gents,

After 3 hrs after posting this i had come to the conclusion the cheap coil overs wernt going to be much good for me so i'll look into a spring/shock combo.
Pirate as alway's mate been a big help and i'll look into your suggestion but ####kk i can't afford the ones from tein in the link you gave lol. What about the older HSV range they came out with the magnetic suspension of some sort? But i gues that would be a head #### to get and fitted in a reasonable cost.

Great to have had some good advise fellas makes me glad i asked even tho i felt a bit dumb. Pirate Knows my situation but Was good to get first hand exp.
Cheers
Dave

Pirate the Dashboard is working well jsut won't show what gear i am in maybe being a manual? And do i need to validate all PIDs? Thankis again fella.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
MRC is almost impossibly difficult, have looked into it as have many over in the US, fitted standard some swear by it others at it from factory.

Re: PIDs, calcs etc., will PM you.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
Actually I've read that if you have large wheels with coilovers you need to have adjustable strut tops as well, I think coilovers might put your camber out a bit? something to consider.

Decent coilovers are quite expensive, about $1600 off the top of my head. For that price I recon you could upgraded shocks, sprigs and swaybars and you'd end up with a beautifully handling car that isn't defectable. I'm pretty sure coilovers are defectable because they make it so easy to make your car too low (eg you get defected for being too low, spend 20 mins making it higher again, get the defect taken off then you can just adjust it low again)

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
Just on another point looking at sssl springs but not sure if i can run them and how low it will sit?
At the moment i am 395 from the centre of the hub and have 19" rims. Some are saying i need to go 20" rims for that low i don't understand why as the actual wheel dia does not change just the profile of the side wall. More side wall bit softer ride?
Pirate what springs do you run? I wanna get her down to the 110-115mm height at the front it's at approx 180 now.
my head hurts.