Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coil retaining bolt spinning

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
I was changing my coils today (177k VZ Acclaim) and when i tightened one of the new coils, the bolt just kept going around. It wouldn't tighten up fully. There's a brass threaded sleeve in the manifold for each coil. I think it must be loose and the coil bolt is spinning that. I can't get this new coil out because it keeps turning but not coming out. How do i get it out and fix this? Maybe i can get some long nose pliers onto the retaining sleeve to hold it, there seems to be small gap there. Or shall i leverage the whole thing out of the manifold? Even though this new one is in, I worry to leave it like this in case it works its way out, off the spark plug.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Twist in the bolt a bit. Pull out both the bolt and the brass fitting.
Splay out the brass fitting on the work bench.
Refit with a dab of red thread lock. Don’t put the bolt in until the thread lock sets.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Remove the brass fitting. You can use a flat blade screwdriver. Get it into the slot (oh yeah), give it a twist to open it up a bit, then get a bit of thread lock (red) into the hole on the cam cover. Tap the brass bit into the cam cover (lightly) and let it set. Then put the bolt in later after the thread lock dries.

Hope that helps Mr Mooseknuckle.

Sorry, Mr Moosejaw.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I was going to say super glue it in lol lol