Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coil spring insulation pads

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
My VX has a slight lean believed to be from a spring that has sagged on D-side rear. To test this theory I picked up a brand new set of coil springs. The original rubber insulating pads are still in place and appear to be good condition but regardless I'll replace them to make sure both are the same and new for testing height.

Originally they used rubber, but now the poly version seems more common. I also noticed you can get them in different thicknesses which may be interesting if the slight height difference remains and the setup tweaked somewhat.

Anyone have any experience with these pads, rubber or poly or not at all, which is my usual experience? Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The insulator pads are more to stop the spring rattling/grinding and won't effect the ride. If there's still a difference in height you should keep looking for other issues or worn bushes before you resort to fixing it with the insulator pads.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I am, hence the coil swap.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sure its not due to a bad shocker, I did my back shocks and the springs resettled to normal position.
I also replace the spring pads with good second-hand ones as mine were worn through. I looked at those poly ones but they are just a donut and don't have the centre boot leaving the steel knob exposed that's why I got original second hand ones, I suppose you can put the poly on the bottom and rubber on top if the rubber pad is a little thin. But the poly ant cheap.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I'll agree with Trevor on this.
Drivers side was a lot lower than the passenger side, at the rear of the car.
Swapped springs from side to side. Drivers side was still lower. Swapped out to another set of springs, no still the same.

Put a new set shocks in. And all good. That fixed it.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Interesting. Sounds similar to mine. There's only like 6mm or so in it and only stands out when in garage and appears much more than it measures. Shocks are recent and 'shouldn't' affect height or hold car up. Had the same thoughts about the rubber vs poly, and that mine are probably good condition as a low mileage car, haven't priced any from Holden, just at the ideas stage. The idea was to swap the rear springs and balance out any difference with a driver in the car but found new springs were cheap. That's where the different thicknesses of poly pad were of interest, for fudging a couple of mm if all else fails, or ends up worse! Thanks guys, could be a few weeks before anything gets done but will report back. If I get bored, I'll even remove the rear shocks, measure, swap sides, see if any change, just for kicks.