Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coil strut compressor

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport
Anyone have experience with coil/spring strut compressors (ones mounted to floor, pic attached) want to tell me which type I should buy?
Just put some springs in my 4wd which was dodgy as, and now need to put some in my vx clubby... then change out my uncles VF springs and want something safe & easy.

w40B4LS

thanks in advance

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I've got a cheapy set like mentioned above. Done heaps of springs without fail. Just grease the threads before use.

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport
Ah damn, picture didnt attach. Yeah, have a cheap set above- scary doing 4wd springs...
Was more asking about the ones on the floor and which spring attachment style to go with. Will see if pic attaches this time;

Attachments

• 389F143F-66BF-4A84-A30B-1177BD60A5A2.jpeg
    389F143F-66BF-4A84-A30B-1177BD60A5A2.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 136

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You can find some videos of different floor mounted ones on Youtube, although they're more for shops doing them day in day out (they're pretty big). The ratchet type spring compressors are fine provided you are using two per spring (you also won't have to use compressors to get the rear VX springs out), if you feel unsafe I'd just get more spring compressors. What was the issue you were having with the other set?

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport
You can find some videos of different floor mounted ones on Youtube, although they're more for shops doing them day in day out (they're pretty big). The ratchet type spring compressors are fine provided you are using two per spring (you also won't have to use compressors to get the rear VX springs out), if you feel unsafe I'd just get more spring compressors. What was the issue you were having with the other set?
Yeah true, i'll start browsing videos when i get a chance, cheers.
Issue just time consuming and difficult to clamp properly on the 4wd springs. Have a few to do and more in future so for the price of the bigger machines i think its worth it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you're doing 4WD springs it can be easier and safer to ubolt the lower control arm at the front bush or control joint, depending what you have. That way you get max droop and the springs come out easier. I assume the 4bys you're working on don't have struts or coilovers?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ah damn, picture didnt attach. Yeah, have a cheap set above- scary doing 4wd springs...
Was more asking about the ones on the floor and which spring attachment style to go with. Will see if pic attaches this time;
His not doing 4WD but your right they are no good for them only cars.
I use a rattle gun to remove the strut nut with the spring laying down no need to clamp them, they do pop a little about 30cm just don't have anything behind them, then just compress the spring and replace the strut, but if its springs your replacing then do the strut as well no use doing half a job.

Last edited:

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport
Cheers for the input guys.
yeah 4by i have is coil/strut front end- pic attached. Its actually too stiff and will be changing again shortly.
I get i can use the cheapie that i have, but have decided on the proper machine just working out which stye if anyone had experience with them

Attachments

• 3DBBFCEF-8857-4B9F-B718-37319B6C520E.jpeg
    3DBBFCEF-8857-4B9F-B718-37319B6C520E.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 131