Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Hey guys,

I’m making some progressive performance and handling upgrades to 2014 Series 1 Holden VF SS Commodore Sedan.

Looking to make some progressive performance and handling upgrades to my above mentioned car, and looking for suggestions on good handling upgrades to consider for my car, and especially coilovers.

More over, considering that I may occasionally tow with the vehicle, and use it as a daily as well as a bit of a weekend “boy-racer”, socant drop it on the ground and need to retain functionallybut want a performance based ride.

Thanks,
Guys

P.S. Also looking for 19” - 20” concave matte black aftermarket rims to fit Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres for handling, but would this require a recalibrated speedo.

Cheers

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Hey guys,

I’m making some progressive performance and handling upgrades to 2014 Series 1 Holden VF SS Commodore Sedan.

Looking to make some progressive performance and handling upgrades to my above mentioned car, and looking for suggestions on good handling upgrades to consider for my car, and especially coilovers.

More over, considering that I may occasionally tow with the vehicle, and use it as a daily as well as a bit of a weekend “boy-racer”, socant drop it on the ground and need to retain functionallybut want a performance based ride.

Thanks,
Guys

P.S. Also looking for 19” - 20” concave matte black aftermarket rims to fit Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres for handling, but would this require a recalibrated speedo.

Cheers
You can keep the same rolling diameter(or very close to it) with the correctly matching tyre size so need for speedo re_calibration.
Here's a link for calculations
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tire-size-calculator-tire-dimensions

Edit: Sorry I meant "no need" to recalibrate

Last edited:

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
To keep your Speedo in you'll be looking at a few different tyres, totally depends on the width of your wheel.
20x8.5 245/35r20
20x9 255/35r20
20x9.5 255/35r20
20x10 275x30r20
Most people run staggered 8.5 or 9 inch fronts and 9.5 or 10 inch rears so 255/35 fronts and 275/30 rears. I suggest you look into Koya wheels and have some custom wheels made with offsets that keep your wheels in so you don't have to do much for guard rolling or running stretched tyres.
As for coilovers, you get what you pay for, XYZ's are a good starter coilover which go really low but arnt the comfiest, shockworks or H&R's are heading up in price but you won't lose much in comfort while dropping the height.

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Edit: Sorry I meant no need to recalibrate

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
I suggest you look into Koya wheels and have some custom wheels made with offsets that keep your wheels in so you don't have to do much for guard rolling or running stretched tyres.
This

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
I suggest you look into Koya wheels and have some custom wheels made with offsets that keep your wheels in so you don't have to do much for guard rolling or running stretched tyr[/B]es.
This

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Check your speedo against your phones GPS. My speedo reads 4% high at 100km/h. You can use that to your advantage when selecting tyres. (Check my maths) 4% larger tyre diameter will bring your speedo calibration spot on.

Call MCA and discuss your suspension needs. They are excellent at understanding what you think you need. I can't speak suspension tech but they sorted me out and I couldn't be happier. I've had MCA's Street Performance series in the HSV for 6+ months. I set mine up as per the supplied setup sheet and have had no need to change the setup since. It's also worth stretching the extra couple of $ for the camber washers and stealth upgrade.

The pic below is as per MCA's recommended settings. You could probably dial the front camber back if you wanted to make the tyre last a little longer, but I like the way it turns.
20200316_164852.jpg
20200307_110104.jpg

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Check your speedo against your phones GPS. My speedo reads 4% high at 100km/h. You can use that to your advantage when selecting tyres. (Check my maths) 4% larger tyre diameter will bring your speedo calibration spot on.
This is technically absolutely spot-on; but if I may throw a cat among the pigeons, if you're young (& particularly if you're in Victoria) you might need to be mindful of whatever numbers are written on the tyres vs. the original dimensions.
You may be able to get a defect notice cleared for little money if you get the speedo measured & it turns out to be OK, but if you're younger & are sporting some nice aftermarket wheels there's a higher chance you'll be pulled over & given a defect notice purely based on the tyre-placard vs the fitted tyres.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
also 100km can be wildly out compared to 60km, so setting it up for perfection at 100 may throw lower out. i drive two cars that are 5 under at 60 and 10 under from about 80 onwards. the vf was spot on at 60 but im not sure at 100

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
look into hydraulic pump system or airbags as well for the on the fly height adjustment.