Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coilovers & wheels help

Matt ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF s2 ssv redline
Hey guys,
Been doing some reading through previous threads and have come to a conclusion that the mca coilovers are the way to go? I have a 2016 ssv redline fyi. I would like to lower the car so the guards are just on the tyres/above!
Just tossing up between the street essentials vs the street performance, price difference is about $200 and the essentials offer more comfort vs the performance obv has more performance and less comfort. Has anyone got experience with these and how major the differences are, and will they both allow me to lower the car as much as i want? Are the street essentials an improvement over fe3 or if im spending 2k should i go for the real upgrade, get the street performance and not worry about comfort so much.. ? the car will only ever be street driven, but would be nice to comfortably attack corners without alot of roll! Whats my best option?

Also regarding wheels iv sort of gathered 275 x 35 , 9 inch with 30 offset for the fronts, and 285 x 30, 10 inch with 45offset for the rears, all 20s, will fit well on the guards ? (i will be getting the rears rolled)
Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just get the street essentials. When you buy them from MCA they will contact you to ask you what you want to do, so you can ask them questions and get feedback from them and make changes there etc... And yes, they will go as low as you want. You can't compare them to just FE3 because coilovers also contain a shock absorber, FE3 just refers to the spring.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... FE3 just refers to the spring.
I though FE3 was a suspension tune which encompassed bushes, springs and shocks as a whole package?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Just get the street essentials.
agree, but always feel free to drop them a call or email. tell them what you want and they will recommend a setup to suit.
i never ended up purchasing from them but they suggested street essentials with 10kg springs front and rear.

I though FE3 was a suspension tune
think its mainly just springs and swaybar combos, i believe the shocks are all the same part number

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I though FE3 was a suspension tune which encompassed bushes, springs and shocks as a whole package?

Sure (although I would say "tune" is a bit of a stretch). But when people are "going to FE3" realistically any sane person is not going to go buy the genuine FE3 shocks or bushes (if these are a thing) because there's much better stuff out there much cheaper (or much worse stuff depending on what the individual uses), the springs/swaybars (whatever it came with) are the only item from that package worth using second hand.

Last edited:

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
I have a set of the Mca street ultimates I spec'd in my subaru rs liberty, I went with the ultimates as the vehicle is heavily modded and that model offered alot of the optional upgrade bits standard, ie the camber washers so can pull front hubs off and put back on without worrying about upsetting camber alignment specs etc.

If you are just looking to lower the vehicle and a bit firmer than stock sort of drive then either model you mention would fit the bill. I don't think you will ever notice much of a difference between the two models mentioned with the same spring rates etc.

I think getting the setup right for what you want out of it will make the biggest difference rather than one model to the next. Ie the base model will ride better if matched right than the top of the range model with sick as stiff racing spring rates.

My mate has the same car as me, similar mods and similar Mca coilovers but vastly different spring rates and they drive very different, his ride is horrid, way too harsh. My subaru/Mca ultimates I feel drives similar in harshness to the stock setup in my vf2 redline ute. It's exactly what I wanted, so the setup is paramount. I will be going the Mca route again when I start modding the ute.

Hope that kind of helps.

Matt ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF s2 ssv redline
Thanks for the help guys- got mca street performance ordered with 10kg all round- they said street essentials will bounce too much when lowered and the street performance would suit better! Keen to get them in