Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Induction Kit for VP

thehsvmanv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Acclaim
It's not so much that I need instructions, all I wanted to know was if it was possible for the CAI to work effectively on a VP for which it was never designed for. I didn't want to chop and cut the VP only to find that it wasn't worth it. As for being near cars, I love them just as any of you do, so I wouldn't have it any other way but to be with my VP. As for everyone else thanks for all your help.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
And if you need instructions then I don't think you belong near a car.
That's a bit cruel we all have to star somewhere, Before i got my VP i never seen a ECU fuel injection injectors central locking immobiliser power steering 4 disc brakes etc... And in 12 months i have learnt a hell of a lot.
We all start somewhere but with help and good ears and eyes we learn.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
are these things worth it?
why not run some piping from the front of the airbox directly to the front bumper/behind front grille?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'm not a huge fan of the cold air intakes, myself. I just cut a chunk out of the air-box trunk, and made the hole a bit wider. :p

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
I pulled the rubber seals under the bonnet out. Had no hassle fitting the unit. 1 hour job was done from go to whoa. Easy. Gains are good too.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I thought that rubber was there to stop water from entering engine bay when it rains, etc? Also wouldnt that mean that water could enter the CAI system and sog the hell out of the air filter, not to mention stuff my engine.

Wouldn't worry about that too much . . . look at the bottom of your airbox. There's a drain hole in the middle. :)
Cogez just fitted one of these to his VP Calais, it fits quite nicely after a little time and effort.
I'll be fitting one to my VN soon enough . . . now that I know the tricks :)

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Yeah i just took that rubber thing off all together. And the little plastic tabs that hold the rubber strip to the bonnet, If you be careful you can take them out and use them to stick you CAI down. Thats why i did and it works a treat.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
yeah i did this a while back (if you search, you can probably find my n00b posts asking how)

now thinking about cutting the top of the CAI scoop back a bit, to open the mouth (i've tried heat gun melting it, and it always seems to go back to the same shape)

i think i remember seeing a CAI cut back this way in an attachment. anyone done this? worthwhile?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You have to hold it in shape untill it cools, Once I had stretched mine enough with socket extension bars I used a block of wood to ram in there and left that in untill it cooled then moved to the next section, you can get it huuuge doing this