Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Induction Kit for VP

thehsvmanv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Acclaim
Hey guys. I'm having alittle trouble at the moment with my VP. I recently purchased a geniune cold air induction system from Holden, but it didn't come with a instruction manual. As a result I'm not sure how exactly to fit the system. I am aware that I have to cut a larger hole in the air box and whats invovled in that.

What I am having trouble with is connecting the bigger piece to the car itself. From what I've seen, I know I need to screw it in, but I'm not sure where and how, and I think I might have to take the original fan cover off I think. Any information would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks - Anth

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
OK u will have to cut ur hole bigger on the air box...
U will need to drill sum holes for the cold air intake mouth to bolt onto the fan shroud....put a bit of metal under the plastic wen u drill the holes so u dont drill into the top of the radiator.
Then u will most likely have to pour sum boiling water ova the CAI to make it soft then slam the bonnet on it to mold it into place...
Hope this can help ya

thehsvmanv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Acclaim
Thanks for that. But sounds like abit of work. I'm now thinking that it may not even work properly if it is not meant to fit into place that easily. Has anybody who has done this before verify if it is worth the trouble. Regards Anth.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it's one of those things, somecars it fit's onto firts time no hassle, others need a little flufing around, the cars getting older, plastics slowly warp over time etc, it probably would've gone straigth on if the car was brand spankers, give it a go, just be care full around the radiator

thehsvmanv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Acclaim
Yeah, thanks alot for that. Just hope its worth the trouble. I'm just alittle worried also about the little bit of rubber under the bonnet which I think might stop air from entering the CAI system? Will it affect it or not?

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
i Always fort that it would affect the amount of air that flows thru but wen ur drivin at 60km+ there is a bit of force behind it so it forces it past the rubber....

It shouldnt affect it in anyway but if u want to feel safe go cut a chunk out from infront of the CAI n that will make sure all air is makin it into the CAI

thehsvmanv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Acclaim
Good idea to cut the rubber, but I thought that rubber was there to stop water from entering engine bay when it rains, etc? Also wouldnt that mean that water could enter the CAI system and sog the hell out of the air filter, not to mention stuff my engine. Boy I wish someone told me that CAI system doesn't fit the VP before I bought one - live and learn eh!!

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
It's been done a thousand and one times before on VN/VP's it basically fits with only some minor adjustments. Drilling the holes takes what 40 seconds, you can even buy the "proper" screws from holden, cutting the air box takes a little bit of time but you've already done that, just drill the screws in, use a heat gun or something similiar to open up the mouth a bit more if you want, and heat up the top of it then slam your bonnet and hold it for maybe 10 seconds and you'l never have to think about it again.