Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Intake and Insurance

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
For those who have fitted an after market cold air intake, eg: the Orrsom OTR CAI
Did this effect your insurance premiums?

My insurance states that any modifications must be notified as they could effect any future claims.
Did you have any issues with the transport department? (I'm in Queensland)

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
Im insured with Shannons for my VE SS they had the lowest premium ( unlike for my motorbikes unfortunately )
My ute is extensively modified Cold air intake big cams lowered sport suspension 3" zaust head work 3:9 diff etc etc
and non of the mods affected their premium or put any caveate on excess .
Compared to some of the other policy's offered they beat them at $700 pa by up to $500 a good company
when some one ran into me in carpark they let me use repairer of my choice and were very help full and fast processing but to
get them to insure you you have to answer a lot of questions about being a motor sport enthusiast
Fine by me as I am.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
In QLD you can legally go up to 20% more power with modifications so you're safe. The insurance doesn't even have to know about it as your car complies with the law.
What insurance company is this? Do they ask you if you put 91 or 98 octane fuel too?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
ISnt a mafless tune not complying with the law though?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
ISnt a mafless tune not complying with the law though?

This was my thought, I was under the impression that removing the MAF may lead to a defect notice - can anyone clear that up?

Also I note the OP does not say his MAF has been deleted.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This was my thought, I was under the impression that removing the MAF may lead to a defect notice - can anyone clear that up?

Also I note the OP does not say his MAF has been deleted.

Was a added question :p

Curiosity for myself

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
It all comes down to the emissions, but a good tune should be alright, it's all about optimising, not polluting more.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
In QLD you can legally go up to 20% more power with modifications so you're safe. The insurance doesn't even have to know about it as your car complies with the law.

Where is the legislation written for this? Just interested to see.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Where is the legislation written for this? Just interested to see.

Here:
Frequently asked questions

Can I fit a power chip to my standard vehicle? Do I need a modification plate?

Power chips, aftermarket (not installed by the original vehicle manufacturer) or re-mapped engine management computers are permitted without specific approval, provided the vehicle continues to comply with the emission requirements applicable at the time of the vehicle's manufacture. However, if any engine modification (or combination of engine modifications) increases the engine's original power output by more than 20%, the modification requires certification by an Approved Person.

You'll also see that extractors are legal, and cold air intake too, if the filter is enclosed (which puts the OTR intakes in a grey area)

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Zorst, CAI and other legal minor Mace mods declared to Shannons. NO dramas but increased the premium $2? a month.