Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Intake, is it viable to make your own?

Himynameisari

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Im no mechanic, but looking at some of the off the shelf products already available, they seem to be just a few pieces of pipe and a pod filter on the end.

These usually go for $250+ which isn't out of the budget, but it's also at that limit where I think to myself "Well I could build one for a quarter of the cost!".

Has anyone made their own? Is it worth making your own? What issues could I run into?

Bubbs64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 SSV VF Redline Wagon
Hi there,
Just had my VF Redline fitted with an OTR system which isn't hard to do BUT to get the best outcome you'll need to have the car re-tuned to get the best results.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Hi there,
Just had my VF Redline fitted with an OTR system which isn't hard to do BUT to get the best outcome you'll need to have the car re-tuned to get the best results.

Didn't even answer his question...

Op, a simple intake can be done cheap and easily. Just need the right sized pipe, an elbow bend or two, some couplers and a filter. You could make one using plumbing pipes if you felt like it, seen it done before.

Bubbs64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 SSV VF Redline Wagon
Didn't even answer his question...

Op, a simple intake can be done cheap and easily. Just need the right sized pipe, an elbow bend or two, some couplers and a filter. You could make one using plumbing pipes if you felt like it, seen it done before.

Sure it can be done but what's the point in putting in plumbing pipes if there's no improvement in performance !

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Sure it can be done but what's the point in putting in plumbing pipes if there's no improvement in performance !

What makes you say that? It'll still be better than the stock system.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Im no mechanic, but looking at some of the off the shelf products already available, they seem to be just a few pieces of pipe and a pod filter on the end.

These usually go for $250+ which isn't out of the budget, but it's also at that limit where I think to myself "Well I could build one for a quarter of the cost!".

Has anyone made their own? Is it worth making your own? What issues could I run into?

No , you'd be better off buying one from a reputable manufacturer .

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
No , you'd be better off buying one from a reputable manufacturer .

The 'reputable manufacturers' started out using paint trays from Bunnings...

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
i just got a airhammer cai kit for my ve, cost alot less than $250

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
It could be viable to make your own toilet paper... but(t) I'd leave that to the pros too.
There are enough secondhand kits floating around that you should be able to score on the cheap.
Hell check the wreckers too, I'm sure people who performance mod their cars right them off too.