Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold air intake (literally)

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
Has anyone experimented with using aircon piping to cool the intake? Like welding radiator fins onto some piping, and putting it inside the intake. My pipes get pretty cold, and was thinking... wouldn't they be more useful if they ran down the inside of the intake tube. With fins on them they would radiate cold air straight into the engine :thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i believe it has been done but mostly on intercooled supercharger/turbo etc. another variation of this is the water to air intercooler, this is where a thin radiator is sandwiched between the supercharger and itake manifold and they pass a cooled liquid through the radiator so that it cools the intake charge as it passes over the little radiator. check the PWR website, i believe they are doing something like this for there supercharger setup

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Ive thought about that too but i tend to think the power lost to having the air conditioner on is going to offset any benefits that might be gained from cooling the air. Dunno for sure though...

Apoc.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
I do know for sure, it's a well and truly a crap idea.

If you're sucking the air from the atmosphere, lets say it's 21 degrees (room temperature) - if it then runs through the fins, which are also at room temp, since there's no temperature difference, no cooling will occur.

When air comes out of a turbo or super charger, it's often over 100 degrees, thus when it runs through the 21 degree fins it gets cooled. Likewise, radiator liquid from the cooling system is also just over 100 degrees, so running it through 21 degree fins will also cool it.

You can not cool room temperature air by running it through fins that are also at room temperature. You need the fins to be colder that whatever's running through them for to cool at all.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
I think mischf is referring to the return pipe from the evaporator to the compressor of the aircon system. You will notice that the pipe gets colder then ambient temperature as condensation forms on the pipe and ice in some cars.

Some Pro dyno cars chasing large hp (like 1000+hp) use an aircon system on both air intake and intercoolers. Largely due to the issue of heat soak associated with dyno’s readings with almost nil airflow.

I believe that if you could make the pipe with fins efficient enough it may affect the intake temp. In saying this I also believe that the amount of hp generated by the cooler air would be less then the hp used to run the compressor. You could gain some benefit by running the aircon, then switch it off for a very short period for increased performance, possible for a TLGP, but that’s it. The return pipe would lose its cooling ability fairly quickly. Also you may reduce the cooling ability of the aircon to cool the cars interior. The hotter the gas is before compression the hotter it is after compression and the harder the condenser has to work to shed the heat before the gas enters the evaporator.

Jezz

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Not to mention the fact that you'd end up with a disturbed air-flow due to the fins. Having stuff in the intake system that causes turbulance in the air-stream isn't going to do you any favours.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
what do you think about those induction fans you see on ebay, the 'electric turbos'

would they be a load of **** or what. I figure, its so basic, that if it worked that well they'd be on stock cars too.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
They suck. I think that sums it up nicely.

It's like those resistors that you plug in across the air temp sensor. About the only effect it has is to make your wallet lighter.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
well its all about weight reduction mouce

intake fan to spin your air .. stage 1
fuel saver .. stage 2
turbo pop off noise on yuor exhaust system .. stage 3