Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold air intake loss of power on Ecotec

Ethanol225

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy berlina series 2
So recently I was curious about a cold air intake for my vy Ecotec and I thought that I would make a makeshift one to see if the gains will be worth it. So I cut out a portion of the stock air Boxster the bottom facing towards the headlight and cut a small section of non structural steel behind the headlight to allow for cold air from behind the bumper and headlight and used some leftover plexiglass to make a enclosed area to limit hot engine bay air from entering the intake. Straight away I seemed to notice a lack of power and overall responsiveness. It sounds good and I get a nice induction whoosh and growl note but the car seems slower. I also fully cleaned the maf and throttle body after with no effect. I am yet to replace the original air box to see if power returns or if the sound from the air box for some reason made the car feel slower.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
might need to do a relearn.

Ethanol225

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy berlina series 2
might need to do a relearn.
How would one go about this? I assume you are talking about resetting the pcm memory as it has learnt to run optimally with the regular intake therefore cannot a just to the new intake. Would I be correct?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
because i'm lazy i just searched the forum

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u have changed the airflow then the ecu needs to have time to adjust to correct for it, also just getting air from the bumper dosnt make it cold if u can read the iat before and after changes that will show u if its working or not, one of my first mode was the pod behind headlight in my VE with iat sensor in tube next to the pod and it was still 45+ deg air compared to OTR 30-35 deg air