Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS2] Cold Air Intake

Anthssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV sports wagon series 2
Hi all
I am looking at putting a cold Air intake on on VE SSV series 2
I would like something similar to the HSV setup but the ones I have found come with a big prices tag.
just wondering if anyone has found one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but gives good gains?

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
Sorry mate, the old adage of you get what you pay for plays well here.

I originally bought the SS inductions growler. Not worth it. Then I bought an Orssom OTR then decided on a different one. I'm actually thinking of changing again.

Quite simply, spend the money, do it once and get the gains. A decent OTR will cost you $500-$600 and that's simply what they all cost. They will all give excellent gains over the other ones like the Walkinshaw and SS inductions growlers.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Each to there own but if you ask me i would not spend that kind of $$$ on a cold air intake.
I would go buy some extractors if you dont have it already.

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you had one on a V8? Easiest and probably one of the better bang for buck upgrades. And the induction noise is awesome.

Couple it with headers, cats and a decent exhaust and you're on a winner.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Have you had one on a V8? Easiest and probably one of the better bang for buck upgrades. And the induction noise is awesome.

Couple it with headers, cats and a decent exhaust and you're on a winner.

Bang for buck hardly! You wrote '' A decent OTR will cost you $500-$600 and that's simply what they all cost ''
I dont see how that would be bang for buck.
I dint say they dont work or do work i said i would spend that kind of money on extractors.
The 0TR are well over priced. plastic fantastic

I dont care much about noise either mate

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
And I'll stick with the idea that you have never driven an LS1/LS2 with one.

Perhaps overpriced but well worth the money in the LS motor. He wants gains. He wants gains from CAI. he didn't say extractors. I said don't bother with other CAI's buy a decent OTR.

Good luck getting VE extractors for $600

As for induction noise it's just a bonus to some of us

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
But you're still arguing extractors mate. The OP asked about CAI and I told him. I still believe they are good investment. Yeah, maybe a little overpriced but tell me car parts these days that aren't. And its kind of pointless to do decent extractors if the car isn't breathing nicely to start with. I certainly wouldn't do anything halfassed on something nice such as a new Series 11 SSV.

The SS Inductions OTR was common 18 months ago but is not something used often now. You can buy a VCM OTR for approx $545 and its one of the best on the market with full flow testing etc. VCM spent a lot of money on R&D on that product.

The extractors you link to are the small tri-y's. Not decent 4-1's.

I have a question for you. From your previous post, it sounds like you are a mechanic or work for a mechanical business. Now, do you tune cars at your business? How much do you charge? Do you know how much a tune costs at somewhere like Powertorque up here or Russo in Sydney etc? They aren't cheap. And the common question is why? These guys just plug in a computer and tune your car. Surely they should have some baselines etc to run with. This is all true. But you are paying for their experience as much as what they are doing to the car. Same as making performance parts for a car. VCM spent heaps on their OTR as did GM Motorsport on their Ramjet. A friend of mine investigated making replacement grilles for the VE. Do you know how much he was quoted to do the setup for the moulds? In the 10's of thousands.

As I said above. Maybe you're right. Maybe they are overpriced. But I don't believe they are any worst than other performance products. And for the LS motors they are the best thing to get rid of the restrictive GM air box setup. And they are more often than not the first thing people buy.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
But you're still arguing extractors mate. The OP asked about CAI and I told him. I still believe they are good investment. Yeah, maybe a little overpriced but tell me car parts these days that aren't. And its kind of pointless to do decent extractors if the car isn't breathing nicely to start with. I certainly wouldn't do anything halfassed on something nice such as a new Series 11 SSV.

The SS Inductions OTR was common 18 months ago but is not something used often now. You can buy a VCM OTR for approx $545 and its one of the best on the market with full flow testing etc. VCM spent a lot of money on R&D on that product.

The extractors you link to are the small tri-y's. Not decent 4-1's.

I have a question for you. From your previous post, it sounds like you are a mechanic or work for a mechanical business. Now, do you tune cars at your business? How much do you charge? Do you know how much a tune costs at somewhere like Powertorque up here or Russo in Sydney etc? They aren't cheap. And the common question is why? These guys just plug in a computer and tune your car. Surely they should have some baselines etc to run with. This is all true. But you are paying for their experience as much as what they are doing to the car. Same as making performance parts for a car. VCM spent heaps on their OTR as did GM Motorsport on their Ramjet. A friend of mine investigated making replacement grilles for the VE. Do you know how much he was quoted to do the setup for the moulds? In the 10's of thousands.

As I said above. Maybe you're right. Maybe they are overpriced. But I don't believe they are any worst than other performance products. And for the LS motors they are the best thing to get rid of the restrictive GM air box setup. And they are more often than not the first thing people buy.

Holden has also spent a lot of money designing there SSV. That is including the factory air intake system.
I am a auto-elec. No we dont do tunes at my work We FIX cars. We have had so many customers coming in with the OTR
system on commodores having the engine light come on. The oil from the filter actually effects the MAF sensor. When told
how much a MAF is for a VE ssv commodore they dont hesitate to take the OTR system off. This is even for the oil filled panel filters.

Also do you know the difference of tri-ys and 4-1 headers?
Street use tri-ys would be the best choice mate.

There is always 2 sides of the story with everthing. There ups and downs with mods and people need to know this.
Its up to the op what he wants i am just suggesting other alternatives. He also states he does not want to spend a load of money on some plastic.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
1. Right... just for the record, the growler intake you used as an example requires mafless so there won't be any issues with getting oil on the maf.

2. You have people who come in with the engine light on, and then you point out it's the oil from the filter effecting the maf, and because of this they ditch the intakes? Wouldn't it be just easier to not over oil the filter or clean the maf if it is causing an issue.

I think I am yet to hear of someone getting rid of an OTR because the oil form the filter was causing engine light issues.

OTR are great back for buck. Increased throttle response, less restrictive, more power and fuel economy improvements.

Extractors are also good, but after you add the cost of someone fitting them and the lost of O2 sensor extensions they are way ahead in cost compared to an intake.

OTR's are a cheap and easy win for noticable gains. Retaining the maf means the OP will not see the intakes full potential but he will see a difference.

Extractors will give better results realistically, but at a much higher cost.