Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Intake

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
I drive a Series 1 Vs Calais and my dad was looking at buying a Cold Air Intake for it. Are these worth it, some people have said it helps with fuel economy and adds a bit of power, how true is this? He was also thinking about getting a air filter for it as well. Cheers for any help.

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
If you do a search in the forums you will find plenty of threads on this. Generally they improve throttle response and fuel economy slightly with very minimal gains in power. Sayin this they are still definately worth it as if you plan future mods i.e exhaust u will notice the difference even more as the engine will breath better. You can get the cai from holden for around $50 and cut the bottom of the air box to fit or for $20-30 (don't quote me) extra you can get the pre made bottom half of the air box.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I have just fitted a CAI and K&N air filter to my VS berlina. Power gains - nothing thats very noticable! But I have noticed an improved throttle response, the car seems to cost along much better as well.
It's too early to tell on whether the fuel economy has improved.....but many people say it does marginally.
For how much it costs I would say it is a worth while mod:thumbsup:

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Well after this i dont think anything else will be done to the car. He was thinking bout getting one as he knows i love the car and he was hoping for better fuel economy mainly.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I am for them 100% They look good and tidy up the engine bay, whilst giving your hard working engine some nice cold air to breathe in :thumbsup:

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Are they worth it without a new air filter or does a new one make a real difference?

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I couldn't tell you.....I replaced my air filter when I installed the CAI. I would think that the CAI would make a difference on its own, but adding a new air filter in there would be even better?

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
well if anyone can let me know how much difference a new air filter would make that would be great.

btw. dad was looking at a Holley Powershot Air Filter

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I only had my K&N filter for about a week before the CAI arrived and it might have made it drive a tiny bit smoother but it was hardly noticable.
With the CAI it was a fair bit more responsive and maybe a bit more powerful, but again not that noticably.
Apart from that its a stock VS V6