Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cold air intakes and 3.9 gears for a vt 5L

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
I was just wondering if anyone knows what sort of cai would give the best sort of power increase with a vt 5L. And an approx price??
It already has extractors, cat back system and a k & n panel filter but using the stock air box.
Also would a set of 3.9 gears and a unichip help me to keep a stock gen 3??
You bastard chevy drivers!!! :b:
If anyone knows an approximate price for 3.9 gears that would be helpfull, and also it would be great to know if anyone has the 3.9 centre what the rev at on the highway at 100km.
Thanks

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
vtss5spd said:
I was just wondering if anyone knows what sort of cai would give the best sort of power increase with a vt 5L. And an approx price??
It already has extractors, cat back system and a k & n panel filter but using the stock air box.
Also would a set of 3.9 gears and a unichip help me to keep a stock gen 3??
You bastard chevy drivers!!! :b:
If anyone knows an approximate price for 3.9 gears that would be helpfull, and also it would be great to know if anyone has the 3.9 centre what the rev at on the highway at 100km.
Thanks
I think you might need a little more then Diff gears and Bolt on's to beat an LS1 ;) as yours will weigh almost the same you will need to make around the same Power 220-260fwkw, the 3.9's will set you back around $1000 fitted from any Good diff shop, as for the CAI i am not too sure what works with the 5lt ( having Never owned one ) But do a search in the V8 section i am sure you will find some Good info. :thumbsup:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Hereis a spread sheet to work out what it will rev at with the new diff gears, just edit the fiqures to suit your car.
As for what CAI there isnt alot to choose from with the VT 5lt. You have the SS Inductions, etc. I was trying to work out how to use a VT LS1 air box and modify it to the MCAI specs..........
AirStrike :air:

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
thankx fellas.

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
AirStrike said:
Hereis a spread sheet to work out what it will rev at with the new diff gears, just edit the fiqures to suit your car.
As for what CAI there isnt alot to choose from with the VT 5lt. You have the SS Inductions, etc. I was trying to work out how to use a VT LS1 air box and modify it to the MCAI specs..........
the spreadsheet didnt come thru, can u do it again

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Idiot me forgot to attach it thats why:b:
Here it is.

Attachments

• Gear & speed calculations2.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 313

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
thanx for that buddy, thats heaps helpful, i think i decided either like a 3.7 or 3.9