Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold engine knock

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As most know i had a fair amount of work done on the Buick engine in the ute. My concern is i have a 8-10 second knock that starts about 5 seconds after the engine fires up. I asked the mech to disconnect the balance shaft but because the gears looked really good, unlike the cam gears, he didn't and had already sealed things up and had the cam chain all properly installed, when he gave me the news.
Not sure what the noise is being caused by and whether i should be concerned. Short of taking the engine back out I'm wondering if it is something I have to live with? The ute was off the road for over four weeks last time so I'm not keen to get the bloke to redo the job, which I don't think he even would anyway. I'm hoping its just the balance shaft and I can just leave it as is.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Get ya head down next to footrest...fuel lines pulsate like a mofo on some cars.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Get ya head down next to footrest...fuel lines pulsate like a mofo on some cars.
It goes away pretty quick 8 seconds or so. Wouldn't a noise like that be continuous?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm wondering if it is just lifters?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Lifters noise is common on start-up...once bled out noise stops.

You're probably expecting too much from ol' jalopy or itchy to spend on it again

When you know what certain sounds are you always go looking for them lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't want to spend anymore on the engine so I was like oh ****, don't tell me, I have more engine troubles!!! If it's lifters I'm not bothered that can tap away. I have a bottle of lifter free up I can chuck in and I might.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Change brand of oil filter use a wix the oil filter is probably emptying when sitting fram and ryco are bad for it

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,
I've been watching this thread and feel I should chime in and say I'm certain it's an oil draining issue from the engine sitting overnight. I 'm on board with "delcowizard" on this one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Change brand of oil filter use a wix the oil filter is probably emptying when sitting fram and ryco are bad for it

Where do you buy a Wix filter? I tried Google and nothing showed for any local parts stores.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Doesn't matter eBay has them. I don't normally buy oil filters off eBay as they are generally something I get over the counter.

upload_2019-10-11_12-10-51.png