Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold intake ducting pipe (and other VE problems)

Sandery87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 2008
Hi guys, just joined this page because it has been so helpful to me with my car!
Here’s the problem, usual check engine, safety mode, esp off warnings blah blah blah.. mechanic told me it was the TPS setting it off, he couldn’t find anything wrong with it so he just cleared it. Ran well for a few months then back at it again with the warnings. With help from you group of good blokes and sheilas, found out I should take apart the throttle body and give it a clean. was fairly gunked up, cleaned it with throttle body cleaner, Opened up the sensor part, cleaned out some dust, other than that was all good. So sorted that problem.
Used OBDII scanner cleared everything, ran perfectly, check engine light keeps coming on.Found out from here that it could also be from the MAF sensor, so another trip to Repco for some MAF sensor cleaner, did the job, cleared the warnings again, still comes up. Mechanic reckons it’s the timing chain setting it off because series 1 VE’s are prone to the chains stretching.
While I was doing the work on the throttle body and air intake I noticed a crack where the oil run off line goes in to the intake ducting pipe. Some oil leakage on all the cables and parts below. Is this something that could possibly be causing some problem with the air intake that could be setting it off?
Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post

Attachments

• 3C9D594C-A15B-44B1-A5A1-F853A5857916.jpeg
    3C9D594C-A15B-44B1-A5A1-F853A5857916.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 128

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
A vacuum leak at that fitting could cause your problems.

Ryan Licastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE-SS S2
Hi guys, just joined this page because it has been so helpful to me with my car!
Here’s the problem, usual check engine, safety mode, esp off warnings blah blah blah.. mechanic told me it was the TPS setting it off, he couldn’t find anything wrong with it so he just cleared it. Ran well for a few months then back at it again with the warnings. With help from you group of good blokes and sheilas, found out I should take apart the throttle body and give it a clean. was fairly gunked up, cleaned it with throttle body cleaner, Opened up the sensor part, cleaned out some dust, other than that was all good. So sorted that problem.
Used OBDII scanner cleared everything, ran perfectly, check engine light keeps coming on.Found out from here that it could also be from the MAF sensor, so another trip to Repco for some MAF sensor cleaner, did the job, cleared the warnings again, still comes up. Mechanic reckons it’s the timing chain setting it off because series 1 VE’s are prone to the chains stretching.
While I was doing the work on the throttle body and air intake I noticed a crack where the oil run off line goes in to the intake ducting pipe. Some oil leakage on all the cables and parts below. Is this something that could possibly be causing some problem with the air intake that could be setting it off?
Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post
Did you say your ESC lights comes on

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The oil coming from those parts generally happens from the poor design of the PCV in the back left corner of the cam cover on the drivers side.
When that blocks up or is near gunked up, it doesnt work so well.

There is a mod and its an easy to clean part.

That whole PCV hose set up is still available new and isn't too expensive. Or you can get some vacuum hose and use that on the ends over the hard plastic part to replace the factory rubber part.

I can post a photo tomorrow when its daylight to show what I mean.

There is a "how to" I did on the cleaning and modifying of the PCV.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
0BBEEFD0-0E31-43F2-BDEA-C481D4B63571.jpeg

559E7372-29A1-48BF-8663-51A049169891.jpeg

These molded bits go brittle and crack. In the top image, used a bit of vacuum hose onto the throttle body and cut off the molded part. Shovel the hard plastic line into the vacuum tube. Works a treat.

As for the ducts, remove them and hose out with degreaser etc. Get the gunk out.