Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Liquid Dripping onto Left Foot

christopherVYpaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac
Hi Guys,

Just recently a very cold liquid (suspect air con) has been dripping onto my feet from under the dash whilst driving.

Any ideas?

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
my VN did/does the same.. Air con drain pipes are probably clogged. You can get at them from under the car, just forward of the transmission (in my car anyway, I'm assuming it's pretty similar) or the hard way like I did by taking the whole dash out

as a side note, i already had the dash out to replace the a/c fan.. didn't just jump right into it that way lol

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
My VY did this a few days ago going around a corner after driving all day on a hot day with the aircon on. If it's not coolant you have nothing much to worry about as it's just condensation from the aircon unit inside the car that hasn't drained out.

gordo881005

unholy confessions
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Storm2
It would be the drain pipe, just whack some high tensile wire up its guts and you can usually unblock it. mine had a hornets nest in it last year. but is all good now.

christopherVYpaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac
It would be the drain pipe, just whack some high tensile wire up its guts and you can usually unblock it. mine had a hornets nest in it last year. but is all good now.

Thanks for the replies.

How do I get to the Drain Pipe?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thanks for the replies.

How do I get to the Drain Pipe?

Like nstone63 said it's underneath, near the transmission. If you have access to a set of ramps, then get the car up on them and you can get under no worries. Otherwise, maybe park over a steep driveway or similar and try to get under that way. Don't just jack it up and get under unless you have a death wish!

MA7789

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2
hey as evryone else says it may be air con, but i had this happen few months ago and found it was the diamond shaped rubber grommet in fire wall in drivers foot well that was leaking water after bit of rain etc, just another possibilty

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
As Soop said, the drain is near the transmission. If it's like the earlier models, t is actually in the top of the transmission tunnel above the transmission. A rubber drain pipe runs from the evaporator down through the transmission hump. I'm not sure if the set up is like the old VR had, but that used a wire insert to keep the drain pipe from collapsing. The pipe would then block up with mildew and other crap that formed around the insert. If the later models use the same setup, you can reach up and pull the wire insert out of the drain pipe and the condensate will flow out freely. Clean up the insert and re-insert it after all the water has drained away.

Ryan.mate

ryan
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss sandman 5.7
i found usually its your evaporator blocked and freezing up causing it to drip cold fluid.:)