Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold shifting

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
I'm having trouble getting smoothly into second, particularly when the gearbox (T5) is cold, it almost always grinds/pops out of gear. This is always on the upshift, downshifting doesn't seem to be a problem, although it is still very tight. Other gears are fine. I've tried leaving it in neutral for a second and even double clutching and it still does it, but the longer i leave it in neutral the less chance of it happening. Of course this is a pain in the arse. Once it warms up it's ok.

Ideas?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I've noticed this aswell with mine (VP V8 T5). I just hold the shifter in gear for a few seconds, and then it wont pop out again.

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
I had a similar issue, very rough getting into 2nd, particularly under heavy acceleration. i had the mech who was doing the RWC check the box, he said 'typical wear' and offered a synthetic lube additive, 3-months later roughness into 2nd seems to be almost non existent.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
yes oil change with a addative is the way to go.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Awesome. I put fresh 80W 90 in when i put the box in so could i just chuck in this additive? Does it have a specific name or brand i should look for?

Cheers guys.