Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Start longer crank

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
My VS over time has developed a longer crank on start up and if I do a restart of the car once moved out of the garage and engine still cold it kinda splutters back to life. (Second video kinda shows it)

I can hear fuel pump prime and have no issues with power or start up or restart when engine is hot.

I have bought a later version ECU as I know updates were done to cold start issues on early VS Ecotecs.

Do I need to look or think about crank angle sensor? Coolant temp? I am changing spark plugs this weekend after being in the car for 10 years as it’s been in storage.

The beeping in the videos is just my Nokia Bluetooth connecting to my phone.

Cold start

Cold restart

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
How old is your fuel ?
Might also need injectors servicing if it has been sitting for so long.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd look at fuel pressure and as above, injectors.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it worth putting an injector clean in? Can your original injectors be refurbished or do you buy new ones? There is an over fuel smell on cold start up.

This is the 3rd tank of 95 that has gone in so any old fuel should be gone.

But as said when warm/hot no issues. Engine fits within 1.5sec

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't buy injectors, they are too expensive. Get yours cleaned by a fuel injection shop.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is it worth putting an injector clean in? Can your original injectors be refurbished or do you buy new ones? There is an over fuel smell on cold start up.

This is the 3rd tank of 95 that has gone in so any old fuel should be gone.

But as said when warm/hot no issues. Engine fits within 1.5sec

That suggest a leaking fuel injector. That can also explain the hard starting as the injector fills the cylinder with fuel, it also means during cranking there can be low fuel pressure and some cylinders having excess fuel.

You can have injectors cleaned and flow tested but it doesn't always work.

If you do decide to upgrade I'd recommend stepping up to the Bosch 777 injectors that were used on the VT-VY V6 models. It's a better injector, the flow rate is slightly different but the PCM will adjust for it with closed loop.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
That suggest a leaking fuel injector. That can also explain the hard starting as the injector fills the cylinder with fuel, it also means during cranking there can be low fuel pressure and some cylinders having excess fuel.

You can have injectors cleaned and flow tested but it doesn't always work.

If you do decide to upgrade I'd recommend stepping up to the Bosch 777 injectors that were used on the VT-VY V6 models. It's a better injector, the flow rate is slightly different but the PCM will adjust for it with closed loop.
Thanks I have found a set of these and was wondering if it is ok to use any later parts off a ecotec for early ecotecs.