Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start noise - is this normal?

skip100

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V8 08
Ok you've worn me down - I hope Soundcloud is trusted enough! :) (it's just as well we have some brave people in the world that are able to help transform an untrusted site into a trusted site ;^) https://soundcloud.com/sullivang/ls3-cold-start-rattle

Ron - thanks for the links. I'd actually already read through those, but I'm not sure whether or not it's exactly the same issue as mine. What do you think?

One performance shop has listened to the recording and they're not sure - they think it's possible it's normal. (this is a different place that actually did the work)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ok you've worn me down - I hope Soundcloud is trusted enough! :) (it's just as well we have some brave people in the world that are able to help transform an untrusted site into a trusted site ;^) https://soundcloud.com/sullivang/ls3-cold-start-rattle

Ron - thanks for the links. I'd actually already read through those, but I'm not sure whether or not it's exactly the same issue as mine. What do you think?

One performance shop has listened to the recording and they're not sure - they think it's possible it's normal. (this is a different place that actually did the work)
Yours sound different. Mine does not do it on idle....
In any case...it does not sound too bad...

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
I can't hear much through my crappy phone speaker but is it piston slap??

If you think it might be valve train related try a different oil.. I changed to penrite 10 tenths after getting alot of valve train noise after a cam upgrade and now it runs silky smooth with no noise.