Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start noise - is this normal?

skip100

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V8 08
MY17 Caprice (LS3)
My engine often makes a sound a bit like maracas when it is first started, after it has been left off for an extended period (e.g overnight). The noise goes away after a minute or so, and the engine is then very quiet. It has been to a performance shop, who replaced all the lifters. I initially thought the noise was gone, but it's still there. (not sure yet whether there's been an improvement - at the moment I think there probably has been, but not 100% sure).

Pay particular attention at about 40 seconds in to this recording:
http://www.filedropper.com/coldstartrattle

As a matter of courtesy, I have been discussing this issue over here: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?171325-LS3-Rattling-sound-when-stone-cold
The reason I am posting here is that no-one offered an opinion on the recording. (and I'm also embarassed to have to admit that the problem is still there ;^) ;^)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
no-one offered an opinion on the recording.

Probably didn't want to download from a random link.....I know I don't.

Load the vid to youtube and post that here.....might have more success.

skip100

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V8 08
Oh, ok - sorry. In the meantime, if anyone else has the courage, you want to click the grey "Download this file" button - that will immediately download the file. (it's audio only - no video).
When I have uploaded it to a more trustworthy site, I'll let you know.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
In the meantime, if anyone else has the courage, you want to click the grey "Download this file" button - that will immediately download the file. (it's audio only - no video).

With all due respect mate, I'm with @VS 5.0 . Not downloading anything from a site I've never heard of, let alone seen. Nothing to do with lack of courage BTW...

When I have uploaded it to a more trustworthy site, I'll let you know.

Good idea, happy to check it out then.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Nope - I'm leaving my file right where it is. The site is trustworthy. It's an ad-supported anonymous file sharing service

Ok mate, certainly don't want an argument about it. It's easy to upload to a far more well known site, but if you want to dig your heels in, be my guest.

You won't get much help here with that outlook. Good luck with your car.