Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start noise

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi there.

My VE has had this cold startup sound for quite sometime, always assumed it was the chains. Now I had the chains replaced as they finally were out of spec, it still makes the sound but not as bad as it was. Is this just a common cold start sound from them ? It’s fine when it’s started a few hours later, just seems to be once it’s sat overnight.

here’s a video of the sound.

I should add the chains were replaced by a Holden dealer with genuine parts. Also the AC compressor and water pump were done. So I’m kinda stumped.

many thanks.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not normal. The tensioners take a couple of seconds to pressurise in the morning but yours runs ok for a few seconds then makes a crunchy noise which is a worry.
Also why do you rev it when you start it? Don't do that!

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Not normal. The tensioners take a couple of seconds to pressurise in the morning but yours runs ok for a few seconds then makes a crunchy noise which is a worry.
Also why do you rev it when you start it? Don't do that!

Did not rev it. That’s how it starts from cold.
I always let the idle drop down to its normal rate after about 30 seconds before setting off.
It only makes that sound very first thing after sitting for overnight.

Horacehighroller

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2010 Int VE11 Omega LY7 LPG Statesman 09 LY7
Hi there.

My VE has had this cold startup sound for quite sometime, always assumed it was the chains. Now I had the chains replaced as they finally were out of spec, it still makes the sound but not as bad as it was. Is this just a common cold start sound from them ? It’s fine when it’s started a few hours later, just seems to be once it’s sat overnight.

here’s a video of the sound.

I should add the chains were replaced by a Holden dealer with genuine parts. Also the AC compressor and water pump were done. So I’m kinda stumped.

many thanks.
How long since the oil filter was changed?
Does it have the correct grade oil?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
How long since the oil filter was changed?
Does it have the correct grade oil?

I over service it. 5w-30 Nulon dexos fully synthetic as stated in user manual. done every 7500km or 6 months. New filter every time.
Service guys noted no sludge etc when they had it all apart and were impressed how clean it was.

I have just changed it again since they were just in there doing the chains just to be sure it’s clean with new chains to run in.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
could that be the starter not disengaging properly on engine startup?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
So after research, it seems to be quite a wide spread issue on a cold start after sitting for a decent 24 hours.

it’s mentioned that it’s possibly the following.
Chains,
Tensioners,
Guides,
Oil pump,
Camshafts actuators,
Oil pickup o ring,
Incorrect oil grade and dirty filter.

After having the Chains, guides and tensioners done, along with fresh 5w-30 oil and filter, it’s no where near to the extent it was before.

I’m leaning towards the conclusion it’s due to lack of oil somewhere in the top end after sitting, as if I drive to work, start it 8 hours later it’s fine. And now it has new chains it doesn’t have such a huge tolerance to adjust to anymore with oil pressure waiting to build up, and the noise stops after it receives oil pressure somewhere in the system.
As I don’t drive it every day I dare say I’ve noticed this more than most car users as I ride my sv1000 to work most days.

I don’t feel like spending another few thousand dollars with a this might fix it. Knowing the chains are new I don’t need to worry about smashing a valve etc. and if oil pressure drops below the threshold the dash light will display.

If I find out the solution in future I’ll be sure to post the result.

thanks.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
From your list of possibilities I'd be starting from the bottom of the engine with the oil pickup o ring. If you ever need to replace the harmonic balancer that's the best time to pull the sump off and access the pickup.

Davidhagar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Mine dose that.. love to know what it is.....

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Replace the oil pump... Most likely be your lifters as it needs to build up oil pressure as your pump isn't pumping correctly.