Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Is there a video of the noise?

A rebuild from a quality engine shop may be better than a new engine but may have a smaller rebuild time/less life total.

Yeah..page 1 post 2 in this thread...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Is there a video of the noise?

A rebuild from a quality engine shop may be better than a new engine but may have a smaller rebuild time/less life total.

Engine life has many variables...
That does not bother me much...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Okay
They say the will take it apart with intent to rebuild with correct clearances and parts.
In case there is any damage already done to the block etc they would replace the engine.
Dealer basically said they have an engine builder that they outsource the work to and the engine will be 100% When it comes back to me.
They will also provide me with a loan car for the duration of repair..
The car has 2.5 yrs of factory warranty left on it so if they do **** job it would probably show before the end of warranty period...
I will just bite the bullet and let them deal with it...
Hey Ron, it should give you peace of mind that they'll outsource it to an engine builder, instead of the workshop wally's attempting it.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hey Ron, it should give you peace of mind that they'll outsource it to an engine builder, instead of the workshop wally's attempting it.

That's what put my mind at ease. They were quite open about it..

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
They basically said it would be easier for them to do engine swap but they could not guarantee the new engine would not be the same/similar..which is fair enough...
Given that this bothers me .. the rebuild option is probably better for me in ensuring my engine is quiter...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Shocking really that they still haven't resolved these issues.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Ya sure the LS3 is assembled in Mexico?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
The dealer has been quite helpfull so far. Apparently they have already done a few engines and it is excess clearance that causes the noise. They say the engine would most likely run strong for a long time but they don't expect me to put up with the noise.
They say that some level of noise is acceptable on cold startup but mine seem to be at max allowable threshold...
They acknowledged mine was one of the worst they heard...
Will keep updating this thread as i have more info

If this is truly the case, Holden would already know the dealer is capable of picking the dud engines and would accept their diagnosis without tear down.
I think that an engine shop will do a better job of assembly though, so that is a win.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If this is truly the case, Holden would already know the dealer is capable of picking the dud engines and would accept their diagnosis without tear down.
I think that an engine shop will do a better job of assembly though, so that is a win.
Holden is accepting their diagnosis. They are instructing the dealer to rebuild unless there is damage....in which case they would provide new crate engine.