Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, with all those problem you've had, it does take away from the enjoyment of owning a new car. But those exhaust system leaks are also something for Holden to fix under factory warrant/ACL as they should last decades without failing in such a fassion.

So I wonder how many time the service paperwork itemises exhaust system/underbody checks yet this was not picked up?

Maybe with all the issues you've had, along with the many trips to dealers, etc, this may raise your problems to that of major fault under ACL. Entertaining such an idea may allow you to choose your remedy of a full refund of purchase price and you can be done with the 'turd' and buy yourself a reliable Jap vehicle (sacrilege).

Or drop in an LSA as mentioned :eek:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yeah, with all those problem you've had, it does take away from the enjoyment of owning a new car. But those exhaust system leaks are also something for Holden to fix under factory warrant/ACL as they should last decades without failing in such a fassion.

So I wonder how many time the service paperwork itemises exhaust system/underbody checks yet this was not picked up?

Maybe with all the issues you've had, along with the many trips to dealers, etc, this may raise your problems to that of major fault under ACL. Entertaining such an idea may allow you to choose your remedy of a full refund of purchase price and you can be done with the 'turd' and buy yourself a reliable Jap vehicle (sacrilege).

No doubt the exhaust should be covered under warranty. If i damaged it somehow that would be another story...but this clearly is dodgy weld...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
In the meantime I sent lenghty email to Holden customer support politely explaining that the car is driving me mad.
Pretty sure this will do **** all but you never know...

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon

Good pictures Ron.
Shows the real standard of a car service at the dealer. Helps me understand why I have given up on stealers except for warranty claims and recalls (electric powered steering outstanding). Really have to look at your car yourself.
The local (new) NRMA service has outstanding prices, clean workshop, happy to give details on what fluids are used, mechanics who talk properly to you and a f***king great coffee machine.
Shame because the local dealer Service Manager tries hard but is constrained by Holden sales prevention system. (looking for a TLA for P!ss you off factor).

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I was just speaking with a guy at work who has a 2016 SSVR.

His started slapping at 300 kms from new. By 22,000 kms, it sounded like something was going to fall out of the block.

After the dealer told him they were going to strip the motor to check clearances etc and charge him the cost of putting it back together if they didn't find anything out of spec, he told them he wasn't having any of that and wanted a new engine. A bit of tooing & froing, new engine was installed.

15,000 kms later, slappity slap slap. He is now at 50,000 + kms and is living with the slap until his lease expires in a few months time and he will be rid of it.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
And then there is this.

While it predates Holden's Court Enforceable undertaking to the ACCC in August 2017, it gives an indication of their view of the world at that time.

lK6RnsM.jpg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
And then there is this.

While it predates Holden's Court Enforceable undertaking to the ACCC in August 2017, it gives an indication of their view of the world at that time.

lK6RnsM.jpg
Wow !!!!!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
And then there is this.

lK6RnsM.jpg
Blatantly omitting "however, if the engine block is sufficiently warm and the noise persists,..."

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Blatantly omitting "however, if the engine block is sufficiently warm and the noise persists,..."

Mine does go away after 5-10 min but it is appaling how they try to package poor quality control into engine 'characteristic'...

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Yes, all the mainstream L's and LS's are built in Mexico.
LS7 and LS9 were hand built in Wixom, Michigan.
Unsure of the LT series.
Ls1 was canada