Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It's not the first time GM/Holden has put out dealer advisories on how dealers should fob off customer concerns. They've been doing such for ages. In some rare instances such documents may be reasonable (though i haven't seen any resonable instances) but usually its based on their skewed view of not standing by their products and simply bullshitting a way out. This scewed view is in essence why they had to make their ACCC court enforcable undertaking not to be ducebags....

Yes, it's appaling QC/QA and something i didn't expect for a global manufacturer when i bought their product :mad:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Unreal. Mine used to go away when hot yet they replaced the engine.
Yours was noisier than mine in the video you uploaded.
I have heard noisier LS3 engines than mine, First one I heard I didn't know what the hell the sound was.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Mines going in next week to stay at the dealership for a couple of days to determine if its of any concern. As a bonus, one of my injectors failed today. Anyone want a SSV redline with 26K on the clock?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Mines going in next week to stay at the dealership for a couple of days to determine if its of any concern. As a bonus, one of my injectors failed today. Anyone want a SSV redline with 26K on the clock?
Depends on the price ;)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I'll have it but wouldn't you be better off trying to sell it?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
What was the outcome of this mate ?

Brissyguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Caprice
Mine is due for a 60k service but I’m not keen on taking it to Holden...
Be waiting for your news

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Mine is due for a 60k service but I’m not keen on taking it to Holden...
Be waiting for your news
Sugar,,,,,,,,,, your the third Caprice with a 6.2 Lts engine that has piston slap issues, Its a shame.

smurfmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf redline
I have series 1 vf ssvr and while I love it, I have regretted not updating to series 2 prior to 2017. I would have liked the ls3. However, I am starting to think i might not have been any happier reading these threads. I hope you get a good outcome.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Funny thing is the Piston slap issues on the 6.2 ltr has shown its ugly head more in the last few months not because of forum talk because i have been told by people that run a private mechanics shop (second opinion)and they know i'm on forum (they dont have time for forums) and although they are a mechanic they always ask me as they know the issues that I had on my 5.7 ltr CV8 Monaro (2 Engine and the last one was a re-build) and know what piston slap is. One owner of a SS has the 6.2 ltr and it was bad that even a hot day, driving for 10 minutes it slapped at idle and even up to 1500 RPM and my hearing is not as good as younger folks. The gentleman that owns this car said to my friend that this car was new when he got it and didn't not know about this untill someone told him about this and yet the car was fully serviced by holden itself so work that out.