Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
To those engineering types out there. Would the higher cylinder pressures with a supercharger add to the slap ?
having more gap will be better for a blower engine as it gives the piston more room to expand from the heat, thus the added airflow from the blower even when not in boost adds torque so will lessen the slap, boost fixes many issues...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If you want to know the very definition of 'piston slap', stand next to a Pratt & Whitney 1830 radial engine during a start up after an overnight cold soak during the middle of winter in Hobart...
The rattle is louder than the open exhausts.
They have full skirt pistons with a second set of oil control rings at the bottom of the skirt....

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
To those engineering types out there. Would the higher cylinder pressures with a supercharger add to the slap ?
I say no because some LS3 slap at idle and if they slap more the oil rings will be effected. When I had the 2002 CV8 Monaro the dealers replaced the Engine at 5000K because it was slpppinh it head off even warm/hot then the Dealers replace that replacement engine 1000k later and that new engive was just as bad as the first, second engine so when I cam back with a car that sound like a diesel they took that engine out and waited for a special team that was going around Holden Dealers and my engine was rebuilt using a set of pistons that had a longer skirt and even then that match pistons to the bore (numbers them) Yes I was there (PS to keep me happy, allowed me in the Workshop) to see how they matched them then I left. After this the Car was perfect!!!!!!!! These guys were good, Not even a scratch or dint on the car.

Reactions: Lex

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Mines going in next week to stay at the dealership for a couple of days to determine if its of any concern. As a bonus, one of my injectors failed today. Anyone want a SSV redline with 26K on the clock?
Hi Paulie81 - MY16 build around same period as my My16 - injector problems also (injectors are a simple low cost fix) ... How supportive was your dealership and GM Holden re the piston slap rhetoric. Hope your outcome re your LS3 engine noise was good - if fixed was lifter damage and cam damage identified? My battle is just beginning.