Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Honestly I don’t know what causing the sound I tend to change gear before I hear it now just figured it’s the oil struggling to get pushed through all the oil passages.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Can type of engine oil make any improvement to subdue the sound we are all experiencing?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
This is 2 days ago. Cold start but 20 degrees outside. Never used to be this bad when it's warm outside.

I got the same sound in my Redline! Although it disappears when it is warm. I convinced myself it was a lifter as I thought I've heard piston slap in another engine previously. Although it disappears when not under load. That's what got me thinking it could be piston slap. Just don't rev a cold engine!

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Got in contact with customer 'care' and explained everything in detail, in writting . I requested replacement engine as my preferred solution to the problem.

They basically disregarded everything in my email and said they spoke to the dealer who said they are waiting for lifters to arrive ... WTF

No mention of anything else.

I requested they put in writting what the diagnosis is and what they propose to do before i commit to anything.

Bunch of clowns

Will take this up with ACCC if they continue to blatantly lie to me...

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Refer past post. https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...on-ls3-piston-slap.267349/page-3#post-2925887
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/78857-become-oil-catch-can-believer.html
41666d1436121691-obd2-pid-codes-warm_up_78-degree-ambient.jpg

My LS3 cold noise is still the same now 21,000 km - I have requested GM Delco Oil 5W30 for use at all services (hopefully that was done). The car as per my previous post and as per US graph does take a long time to warm up. Using 95 fuel as 98 was considered a waste of money and ran rough on idle. I found a short idle plus 2000rpm burst before taking off in the morning does help reduce the knock a little when first loaded cold (maybe it moves some oil to where it needs to be). Currently no other strange engine noises (unlike the v6's) and when warm it is fine. Maybe a looser engine does provide some economy benefits - my assumption is I won't wear out the LS3 and this problem will not get worse. The new Holden is now less supportive of its customers than the old Holden by far. Guess they don't want return customers anymore as per the crappy old navigation maps installed and unwillingness to provide free updates while the car is under warranty. Or GMH recognise the way things are going it may not exist in the near future so why bother. Good luck with your battle.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Customer 'care' got back to me.

Now they say the dealer is not waiting for lifters. They don't know why the dealer would say this initially.

Holden is refusing to approve the new engine, and there is no complaint/review available for this decision :)

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Although I wouldn't give in yet, have you considered Monstars advice, post 3 regarding tuning? Yes you'd be out of pocket for the strong possibility of no fix. But if you are to believe strangers on the internet, his claim of quiet running with the pictures of his tolerances makes for a compelling argument.
I guess the cheapest way to go would be Oztrack, and possibly the most practical, as cold start tunes could be continually analysed plus you get to keep the Autocal device. Great for identifying the next thing wrong with your beast!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Well they are offering to strip it down and rebuild so might as well take that up as the choices are limited now :)