Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
There are days when i wish the c u nt t would just explode so i throw in a new engine. Really annoying sometimes...
Ron, how high or low is your annoyance threshold generally? Just wondering.

I own a 92 Honda prelude (yes, yes, I know, hairdresser's car). Anyway, the engine rattles like crazy on cold starts. Not many 4 cylinder cars had 16 valves in those days and many mechanics told me that fancy multi valve engines were noisy. I accepted it as part of the car's characteristic. I still have the car today, it has over 270,000 Km and still going strong. Machines make noises, embrace the noise! :D

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Noises are part of the parcel of owning a V8 Chev. Some are worse than others. I only worry about rattles and ticks that are still present when the cars warm.
My VY that **** itself had a 3 or 4 second tick at start up but also ticked loud enough to hear when on the freeway. Bad when that happens.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ron, how high or low is your annoyance threshold generally? Just wondering.

I own a 92 Honda prelude (yes, yes, I know, hairdresser's car). Anyway, the engine rattles like crazy on cold starts. Not many 4 cylinder cars had 16 valves in those days and many mechanics told me that fancy multi valve engines were noisy. I accepted it as part of the car's characteristic. I still have the car today, it has over 270,000 Km and still going strong. Machines make noises, embrace the noise! :D
Very low bruz
Things bother me often
Like when the local council put new suburb signs with inconsistent text direction and orientation ;)

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Very low bruz
Things bother me often
Like when the local council put new suburb signs with inconsistent text direction and orientation ;)

Sounds like you and I could be good mates Ron.