Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold starting issues

berlinabeast

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 holden berlina 'rb20e'
Hey im about to do an oil/filter, tranny/filter change in the next day or so

But i've been wondering about my car latley, first thing in the morning i'll go to start it, engine completly cold and i turn the ignition it kicks over, very chuggy, likes it not running on all cylinders, sometime i hear a backfire? or some sort of chug noise.
It's really weird, because i went to start my car this safternoon car was averagley warm, more coldish then warm, it started and i heard it chug and backfire (im guessing was the noise) coming from the left hand side of the engine (The left side sitting behind the steering wheel)

Just wondering on any recomendations or feedback on this

Robbo5390

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
I had a similar problem (without the backfire), mine started strugling to start on cold mornings and became so bad that it would take me two go's to get it running, and even when i did as soon as a put my foot on the accelerator it would stall. Still havent pin pointed the problem but i changed my fuel filter (which we worked out had done some 80 000, klms, previous owner never changed it) and my spark plugs needed some attention. Now it starts first go even when cold and most times doesnt struggle, but still not like she used to. Batteries are always a good place to start to, run it down to the local beurepairs for a free batterry check. When you find the problem please post reply, might help with my engine.

cheers

berlinabeast

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gutted, i own a rb20e single camer (yea im in land of the long white cloud). Its only done 77 thousand k's on the clock now (one owner from new).

Will change the fuel pump see if that helps, going to do a complete fluid drain and/flush and filter change.

So thinking hopefully the change of oil/radiator/tranny etc will help somewhat.

It's the chuggyness that gets me to think it maybe possibly something with the radiator as its a bubbly groggy not running on all cylinders kinda sound/feel. Give it a very good rev and she will come right.

Lol, my ****ing holden manuals are useless, went to change the tranny filter today and i couldn't find the bolts to take it off. Grr

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
not quite sure how the 20 is layed out to the rb30 but if its simular

look into the AFM (air flow meter)
dissy, the cas - leads plugs- dissy cap - rotary arm

then look into the coolant system, as it should have no effect to the engines running

berlinabeast

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the advice man, apparently the rb30's and rb20's have a similiar layout.

Lol also my mate has a vl and he was doing some doughies in it the other night.

He's got a manual i've got an auto.

Now he was talking about it seems like there is lag when he takes off from the lights now.

Like his handbrake is on? but he said it's not on and didn't use the handbrake for doughies. weird stuff, maybe his tranny needs a change to?

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the engine will run unevenly for a while if you dont allow the fuel pump to pressurise the injection system first

turn on ign and listen for fuel pump whine, only after its stopped, with your foot off the accelerator pedal, a short run of the starter motor should start it first time at a fast idle