Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Collapsed lifter

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
D
They told me they had dropped the price as they are the ones who told me to do the oil pump so I didn't pay for Labour and the lifters they didn't know the car was AFM ( thay had the car and it clearly says it on the back ) so they quoted wrong they now are asking for $4790 for the lifters job plus the price for a whole rebuild I have the report if anyone would like to read it
Copy of original invoice Inc parts used and warranty.Sounds like they stuffed up

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Driving along loaded up for interstate trip loaded with 24 cases of wine thinking how fricken well this car has served.
Then a bolt of blue, the world stopped as car metaphorically turned a corner:

This why we need a dislike button.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yuk sounds bad, mine was a little tap tap sound.
I think it’s an exhaust lifter and that loud knock is reversion backfire through the manifold. I have studied sound from all footage and there are two noises, one quieter and rhythmic matched with RPM and the loud one which is either as above or something deep hammering, but is not harmonic.
At first thought it was a spun bearing and rod knock but realised it just doesn’t happen instantly like that.
Whatever, best to pull battery cable, free tow, lift motor ($880 in/out), forensic tear down at Cragsted Race Engines ($1200 tear down/zip up) replace lifters and overhaul key bits (write up to follow).
All pro engineering and best components still likely work out around same price as original Repco bill above. o_O
Beauty with it all completely apart (they do a couple dozen LS3 and Miami race engines a week, supercar scrutineering etc) is lollie shop time for cam swap $500, stroker option $1500, custom forged race pistons $1000, turnkey ready in days.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What would happen if you stick regular lifters in an AFM engine?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I think it’s an exhaust lifter and that loud knock is reversion backfire through the manifold. I have studied sound from all footage and there are two noises, one quieter and rhythmic matched with RPM and the loud one which is either as above something deep hammering, but is not harmonic.
At first thought it was a spun bearing and rod knock but realised it just doesn’t happen instantly like that.
Whatever, best to pull battery cable, free tow, lift motor ($880), forensic tear down at Cragsted Race Engines ($1200) replace lifters and overhaul key bits (write up to follow). All best engineering and components still likely work out about same price as original Repco bill above.
Yeh sounded a bit like bearing knock, I was lucky tap tap sound at start of my street, pulled lifter out needle roller bearing fell apart in hand so lucky.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It did come on suddenly, it's fortunate he was somewhere where he could pull over safely fairly quickly.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
What would happen if you stick regular lifters in an AFM engine?

Not sure as AFM uses a different cam profile as well, had a car come in misfiring was doing my head in till I discovered it had an AFM cam in a non AFM engine. Wierd things happen when you mix up parts.

Roxanne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Holden sports wagon as
Sounds like you took your car to a bunch of morons. It wasn't smoking when it went in so it's their responsibility to fix whatever they've broken.

Can't handle hiflow pump they recommended (has a higher flow pump from factory) so lets charge you to probably put the wrong pump in.

Was it squeaking or tapping when you took it in?

Yes it was tapping and driving like **** the check engine light come on as well it didn't heat up or blow smoke they are willing to do a rebuild if I pay for parts which I dont have a problem with BUT they have never rebuilt a motor this will be there first time .