Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WA] Collector Car Restoration, Can Adding Rare Accessories Boost Value

Gregglz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Series II Commodore
Hello everyone I am currently working on a Restoration project on a Holden Collector Car, my questions are about overall resale and if adding extra eye for detail would value the vehicle more.

I'll give an example of what I mean, let's say the resto car is a 73 Statesman Deville and it had a rear window louvers that are from that era installed, should I keep them or should I ditch them ??? I know it's not original to the car but because itself is a rare accessory and used in that day. Would the car value increase overall or decrease , I'm thinking of extras like plastic light guards, interior and exterior Louvers, Window Tinting, Wind Deflectors / Weather Shields also Books Magazines and Advertisements of that era detailing your car.

In my eyes these are all collectable car add ons and in many cases extremely rare. Should I fit them or sell separately please let me know your thoughts

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Original cars with original accessories seem to get the best money.

I would say if the parts are fitted leave them, if they are in storage and not sell them. Non OEM accessories are not likely to add to the value of the vehicle.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think the only additions of any value are genuine factory accessories. Nasco used to publish booklets for each new model Holden illustrating such doodads as lockable Petrol caps, paint protection plates under door handles, parcel shelves and chromed bonnet strips.

Rear window louvres, after market tinting and period correct but non factory alloys would not enhance the car's value, they would detract from it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I'll give an example of what I mean, let's say the resto car is a 73 Statesman Deville and it had a rear window louvers that are from that era installed, should I keep them or should I ditch them ???

Internal louvres, Keep. External louvres, Ditch.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
anything that's a genuine GM accessory will improve value.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
anything that's a genuine GM accessory will improve value.
Within reason.

In 20+ years, i wont expect people to pay any more or less for a VE because it has a genuine Holden boot organiser or cargo net.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Within reason.

In 20+ years, i wont expect people to pay any more or less for a VE because it has a genuine Holden boot organiser or cargo net.

some people like having all the bits and pieces - so I guess to the right buyer should be my qualifier. Like when you buy a classic console aib. Personally I like everything as original and genuine as possible right down to things like decals.